A Note on Entrepreneurship, Small Business and Economic Growth
AbstractThe aim of the present short paper is to show that since the 1970s the world has changed considerably, and that this change has had consequences for the current policy debate on the determinants of economic growth. Our paper deals with some aspects of the recent scientific literature on the relation between entrepreneurship and small business, on the one hand, and economic growth, on the other. In particular, it gives a summary of some work of the EIM/CASBEC research group in the Netherlands. It refers to scientific analyses showing that countries that are lagging behind in the process of restructuring will pay a penalty in terms of forgone growth. It also pays attention to the Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM), a new and large multinational project focusing on the collection and analysis of internationally comparable data on the rate of entrepreneurial activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2001-60-STR.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
entrepreneurship; growth; economic development; market structure; small firms;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2001-11-05 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-MFD-2001-11-21 (Microfinance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B & Thurik, A Roy, 2001. "What's New about the New Economy?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 267-315, March.
- Carlsson, Bo, 1992. "The Rise of Small Business: Causes and Consequences," Working Paper Series 357, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1999. "Industrial structure and economic growth," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3946, Maastricht University.
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.J. van Stel & A.R. Thurik, 2000.
"Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-095/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Audretsch, David B, et al, 2002. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 81-97.
- Audretsch, David B. & Carree, Martin A. & Stel, Adriaan J. van & Thurik, A. Roy, 2002. "Impeded industrial restructuring: the growth penalty," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3890, Maastricht University.
- Audretsch, David B & Thurik, A R Roy, 2000. "Impeded Industrial Restructuring: The Growth Penalty," CEPR Discussion Papers 2648, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B. & Carree, Martin A. & van Stel, André J. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2000. "Impeded industrial restructuring : the growth penalty," HWWA Discussion Papers 114, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- M. Carree & A. Thurik, 1998.
"Small firms and economic growth in europe,"
Atlantic Economic Journal,
International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(2), pages 137-146, June.
- Carree, M.A. & Thurik, A.R., 1998. "Small firms and economic growth in Europe," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3948, Maastricht University.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1992. " The Tradeoff between Firm Size and Diversity in the Pursuit of Technological Progress," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- D.B. Audretsch & M.A. Carree & A.R. Thurik, 2001. "Does Entrepreneurship reduce Unemployment?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-074/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 24 Oct 2008.
- David B. Audretsch & A. Roy Thurik, 2000. "Capitalism and democracy in the 21st Century: from the managed to the entrepreneurial economy," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 17-34.
- David B. Audretsch & A. Roy Thurik, 1999. "Innovation, Industry Evoluation and Employment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-068/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Leitão, João & Ferreira, João, 2007. "Liberalization of European Telecommunications and Entrepreneurship: Why German and Portuguese Experiences are so Equal and so Different?," MPRA Paper 5728, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.