Methodological Advances in Dea
AbstractWe survey the methodological advances in DEA over the last 25 years and discuss the necessary conditions for a sound empirical application. We hope this survey will contribute to the further dissemination of DEA, the knowledge of its relative strengths and weaknesses, and the tools currently available for exploiting its full potential. Our main points are illustrated by the case of the DEA study used by the regulatory office of the Dutch electricity sector (Dienst Toezicht Elektriciteitswet; Dte) for setting price caps.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2001-53-F&A.
Date of creation: 21 Sep 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
data envelopment analysis (DEA); efficiency and productivity analysis; methodological advances; electricity distribution;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2001-10-01 (Econometrics)
- NEP-EEC-2001-10-01 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2001-10-29 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Timo KUOSMANEN & Thierry POST, 2001.
"Non-Parametric Production Analysis under Alternative Price Conditions,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0105, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Kuosmanen, T & Post, T, 2001. "Non-parametric production analysis under alternative price conditions," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/118580, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Laurens Cherchye & Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post, 2001. "Nonparametric Production Analysis under Alternative Price Conditions," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0105, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
- Appelbaum, E., 1989.
"Uncertainty And The Measurement Of Productivity,"
89-05, York (Canada) - Department of Economics.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000.
"Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000. "Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Antonovitz, Frances & Roe, Terry, 1986.
"A Theoretical and Empirical Approach to the Value of Information in Risky Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 68(1), pages 105-14, February.
- Antonovitz, Frances & Roe, Terry L., 1984. "A Theoretical And Empirical Approach To The Value Of Information In Risky Markets," Staff Papers 13467, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Chang, Kuo-Ping, 1999. "Measuring efficiency with quasiconcave production frontiers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 497-506, June.
- Cherchye, L. & Post, G.T., 2001. "Nonparametric Efficiency Estimation in Stochastic Environments (II)," Research Paper ERS-2001-26-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Chambers,Robert G. & Quiggin,John, 2000.
"Uncertainty, Production, Choice, and Agency,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521622448, November.
- Post, Thierry, 2001. "Transconcave data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 374-389, July.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Lovell, C A Knox, 1983. " The Structure of Technical Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(2), pages 181-90.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1997.
"Estimation Of Moments And Production Decisions Under Uncertainty,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 631-637, November.
- Elie Appelbaum & Aman Ullah, 1996. "Estimation of moments and production decisions under uncertainty," Working Papers 1996_9, York University, Department of Economics.
- Pope, Rulon D. & Just, Richard E., 1996. "Empirical implementation of ex ante cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 231-249.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- W. Cooper & Shanling Li & L. Seiford & Kaoru Tone & R. Thrall & J. Zhu, 2001. "Sensitivity and Stability Analysis in DEA: Some Recent Developments," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 217-246, May.
- M. J. Farrell, 1959. "The Convexity Assumption in the Theory of Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 377.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 1998. "Cost Functions and Duality for Stochastic Technologies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 288-295.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001.
"Production Risk and the Estimation of Ex Ante Cost Functions,"
Staff General Research Papers
1922, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 2001. "Production risk and the estimation of ex-ante cost functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 357-380, February.
- GianCarlo Moschini, 2000. "Production Risk and the Estimation of Ex Ante Cost Functions," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 00-wp262, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Varian, Hal R., 1985. "Non-parametric analysis of optimizing behavior with measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 445-458.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Moesen, Willem & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2003. "Legitimately diverse, yet comparable: Synthesising social inclusion performance in the EU," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/121562, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.