The Evolution of the Russian Saving Bank Sector During the Transition Era
AbstractFollowing the 1988 banking reform in Russia there was an enormous increase in the number of (registered) commercial banks. The Russian savings bank sector went through a period of shakeout after the August 1995 interbank crisis. Large banks were able to expand their market shares in the deposits market as a result of scale advantages and advertising. Entrants unsuccessfully sought to gain market share by having high deposit rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2000-27-STR.
Date of creation: 10 Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
banking; transition economies; industry evolution; savings market;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-02-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "A Reprise of Size and R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 925-51, July.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G., 1993.
"The Life Cycle of a Competitive Industry,"
93-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1992. "The Life-Cycle of Competitive Industry," Papers 92-09, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1994. "The Life-Cycle of a Competitive Industry," NBER Working Papers 4441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyendorff, Anna & Snyder, Edward A., 1997.
"Transactional Structures of Bank Privatizations in Central Europe and Russia,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 5-30, August.
- Anna Meyendorff & Edward A. Snyder, 1997. "Transactional Structures of Bank Privatization in Central Europe and Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Abarbanell, Jeffery S. & Meyendorff, Anna, 1997. "Bank Privatization in Post-Communist Russia: The Case of Zhilsotsbank," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 62-96, August.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-53, September.
- Paul R. Gregory & Manouchehr Mokhtari & Wolfram Schrettl, 1999. "Do The Russians Really Save That Much? - Alternate Estimates From The Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 694-703, November.
- Adam J. Fein, 1998. "Understanding evolutionary processes in non-manufacturing industries: Empirical insights from the shakeout in pharmaceutical wholesaling," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 231-270.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, June.
- Örs, Evren, 2006. "The Role of Advertising in Commercial Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 5461, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.