Models and algorithms for Integration of Vehicle and Crew Scheduling
AbstractThis paper deals with models, relaxations and algorithms for an integrated approach to vehicle and crew scheduling. We discuss potential benefits of integration and provide an overview of the literature, which considers mainly partial integration. Our approach is new in the sense that we can tackle integrated vehicle and crew scheduling problems of practical size.We propose new mathematical formulations for integrated vehicle and crew scheduling problems and we discuss corresponding Langrangian relaxations and Lagrangian heuristics. To solve the Lagrangian relaxations, we use column generation applied to set partitioning type of models. The paper is concluded with a computational study using real life data, which shows the applicability of the proposed techniques to practical problems. Furthermore, we also address the effectiveness of integration in different situations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2000-14-LIS.
Date of creation: 19 May 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
Lagrangian relaxation; column generation; crew scheduling; integrated planning; vehicle scheduling;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-02-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:erroem:9503/a is not listed on IDEAS
- Marshall L. Fisher, 1981. "The Lagrangian Relaxation Method for Solving Integer Programming Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Freling, R. & Huisman, D. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2000. "Applying an Integrated Approach to Vehicle and Crew Scheduling in Practice," Research Paper ERS-2000-31-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Bredström, David & Rönnqvist, Mikael, 2007. "A branch and price algorithm for the combined vehicle routing and scheduling problem with synchronization constraints," Discussion Papers 2007/7, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Groot, S.W. de & Huisman, D., 2004. "Vehicle and crew scheduling: solving large real-world instances with an integrated approach," Econometric Institute Report EI 2004-13, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Huisman, D. & Jans, R.F. & Peeters, M. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2003. "Combining Column Generation and Lagrangian Relaxation," Research Paper ERS-2003-092-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.