Regional Opportunities and Policy Initiatives for New Venture Creation
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of new venture creation across industries and locations for 103 Italian provinces between 1997 and 2003. We allow for differences in regional opportunities across industries and investigate the impact of a range of factors on entrepreneurship in different industries: manufacturing, retailing and wholesaling, hotels and restaurants. Our results show that wage costs deter entry in manufacturing and that regions with industrial districts are characterized by higher start-up rates. Firm entry in commercial sectors appears higher in large cities and areas with strong economic progress. For hotels and restaurants we find that tourism positively influences new firm formation. In terms of policy we do not find a significant effect of recently introduced regional laws promoting new firm formation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series Research Paper with number ERS-2007-092-ORG.
Date of creation: 17 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
venture creation; policy initiatives; Italian provinces;
Other versions of this item:
- Verheul, Ingrid & Carree, Martin & Santarelli, Enrico, 2009. "Regional opportunities and policy initiatives for new venture creation," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-23102, Maastricht University.
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-03-08 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2008-03-08 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2008-03-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TUR-2008-03-08 (Tourism Economics)
- NEP-URE-2008-03-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parker,Simon C., 2006.
"The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521030632, November.
- Parker,Simon C., 2004. "The Economics of Self-Employment and Entrepreneurship," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521828130, November.
- Audretsch, David B. & Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 1999. "Start-up size and industrial dynamics: some evidence from Italian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 965-983, October.
- Catherine Armington & Zoltan Acs, 2002. "The Determinants of Regional Variation in New Firm Formation," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 33-45.
- Carree, Martin A. & Nijkamp, Joyce, 2001.
"Deregulation in retailing: the Dutch experience,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2-3), pages 225-235.
- Carree, Martin A. & Nijkamp, Joyce, 2001. "Deregulation in retailing: the Dutch experience," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3940, Maastricht University.
- Martin Carree & Joyce Nijkamp, 1999. "Deregulation in Retailing: The Dutch Experience," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-081/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Fabiano Schivardi & Eliana Viviano, 2007. "Entry barriers in Italian retail trade," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 616, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Enrico Santarelli, 2002.
"Is subsidizing entry an optimal policy?,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 39-52, February.
- David Audretsch & Michael Fritsch, 1999. "The Industry Component of Regional New Firm Formation Processes," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 239-252, November.
- Emanuele Giovannetti & Karsten Neuhoff & Giancarlo Spagnolo, 2007. "Trust And Virtual Districts: Evidence From The Milan Internet Exchange," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 436-456, 07.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003. "Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2944, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Feldman, Maryann P, 2001. "The Entrepreneurial Event Revisited: Firm Formation in a Regional Context," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 861-91, December.
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1996. "Entry and exit in retailing: incentives, barriers, displacement and replacement," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3837, Maastricht University.
- Soubeyran, A. & Thisse, J.-F., 1998.
"Learning-by-Doing and the Development of Industrial Districts,"
98a26, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Soubeyran, Antoine & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1999. "Learning-by-Doing and the Development of Industrial Districts," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 156-176, January.
- Santarelli, Enrico & Piergiovanni, Roberta, 1995. " The Determinants of Firm Start-up and Entry in Italian Producer Services," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 221-30, June.
- Vinod Sutaria & Donald A. Hicks, 2004. "New firm formation: Dynamics and determinants," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 241-262, 06.
- Kanniainen, Vesa & Vesala, Timo, 2005. "Entrepreneurship and labor market institutions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 828-847, September.
- Young Choi & Phillip Phan, 2006. "The Influences of Economic and Technology Policy on the Dynamics of New Firm Formation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(5), pages 493-503, 06.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Louri, Helen, 2000. " Location and Survival of New Entry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 311-21, June.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck, 2007. "New Business Formation by Industry over Space and Time: A Multidimensional Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 157-172.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta & Olivier Boylaud, 2000. "Summary Indicators of Product Market Regulation with an Extension to Employment Protection Legislation," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 226, OECD Publishing.
- Fonseca, Raquel & Lopez-Garcia, Paloma & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2001. "Entrepreneurship, start-up costs and employment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 692-705, May.
- Carree, Martin A., 2002.
"Does unemployment affect the number of establishments? A regional analysis for U.S. States,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3898, Maastricht University.
- Martin Carree, 2002. "Does Unemployment Affect the Number of Establishments? A Regional Analysis for US States," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 389-398.
- E. Santarelli & H. T. Tran, 2011. "Growth of Incumbent Firms and Entrepreneurship in Vietnam," Working Papers wp785, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Larrañeta, Bárbara & Zahra, Shaker A. & González, José Luis Galán, 2012. "Enriching strategic variety in new ventures through external knowledge," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 401-413.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ERIM Series Handler at the ERIM Office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.