A Bayesian analysis of the PPP puzzle using an unobserved components model
AbstractThe failure to describe the time series behaviour of most real exchange rates as temporary deviations from fixed long-term means may be due to time variation of the equilibria themselves, see Engel (2000). We implement this idea using an unobserved components model and decompose the observations on real exchange rates in long-term components, which capture the time-variation ofthe mean and in medium and short-term components which measure temporary deviations. A simulation-based Bayesian analysis is introduced to compute the posterior distribution of (functions) of the model parameters. A stationarity test in this setup indicates that the mean is slowly time-varying. Subsequently, we use our flexible model to derive the implied distributions of some keyfeatures of real exchange rates. Most notably, the half-life of deviations from the mean, which is a measure of persistence, is lowered. This provides a possible explanation for the PPP puzzle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute in its series Econometric Institute Report with number EI 2001-35.
Date of creation: 13 Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.few.eur.nl/few
Gibbs sampling; purchasing power parity puzzle; real exchange rate; time-varying mean;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998. "Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2," Discussion Paper 1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 2000. "On the purchasing power parity puzzle," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 321-330, December.
- Bauwens, Luc & Lubrano, Michel & Richard, Jean-Francois, 2000. "Bayesian Inference in Dynamic Econometric Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773139.
- Schotman, Peter & van Dijk, Herman K., 1991. "A Bayesian analysis of the unit root in real exchange rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 195-238.
- Clark, Peter K., 1988. "Nearly redundant parameters and measures of persistence in economic time series," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 447-461.
- Koop, Gary & Dijk, Herman K. Van, 2000.
"Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonals models: A Bayesian approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 261-291, August.
- Gary Koop & Herman K. van Dijk, 1999. "Testing for Integration using Evolving Trend and Seasonals Models: A Bayesian Approach," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-072/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Koop, G. & Dijk, H.K. van, 1999. "Testing for integration using evolving trend and seasonal models: A Bayesian approach," Econometric Institute Report EI 9934/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Gary Koop & Herman K. van Dijk & Henk Hoek, 1997. "Testing for Integration using Evolving Trend and Seasonals Models: A Bayesian Approach," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-078/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Georgios Chortareas & George Kapetanios, 2005.
"How Puzzling is the PPP Puzzle? An Alternative Half-Life Measure of convergence to PPP,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005
36, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Georgios Chortareas & George Kapetanios, 2013. "How Puzzling Is The Ppp Puzzle? An Alternative Half‐Life Measure Of Convergence To Ppp," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(3), pages 435-457, 04.
- Georgios Chortareas & George Kapetanios, 2004. "How Puzzling is the PPP Puzzle? An Alternative Half-Life Measure of Convergence to PPP," Working Papers 522, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2011.
"Estimations of the Natural Rate of Interest in Colombia,"
Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 33-75, January-J.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, . "Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 626, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Eliana González & Luis F. Melo & Luis E. Rojas & Brayan Rojas, 2010. "Estimations of the natural rate of interest in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007667, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anneke Kop).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.