A derivative based estimator for semiparametric index models
AbstractThis paper proposes a semiparametric estimator for single- and multiple index models. It provides an extension of the average derivative estimator to the multiple index model setting. The estimator uses the average of the outer product of derivatives and is shown to be root-N consistent and asymptotically normal. Unlike the average derivative estimator, our estimator still works in the single-index setting when the expected derivative is zero (symmetry). Compared to other estimators for multiple index models, the proposed estimator has the advantage of ease of computation. While many econometric models can be regarded as multiple index models with known number of indices, our estimator in addition provides for a natural framework within which to test for the number of indices required.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute in its series Econometric Institute Report with number EI 2003-08.
Date of creation: 26 Mar 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.few.eur.nl/few
semiparametric estimation; rank testing; average derivatives; index models; outer product of derivatives;
Other versions of this item:
- Donkers, A.C.D. & Schafgans, M., 2003. "A Derivative Based Estimator for Semiparametric Index Models," Discussion Paper 2003-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cragg, John G. & Donald, Stephen G., 1997. "Inferring the rank of a matrix," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 223-250.
- Stephen G. Donald & Natércia Fortuna & Vladas Pipiras, 2005.
"On rank estimation in symmetric matrices: the case of indefinite matrix estimators,"
FEP Working Papers
167, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Fortuna, Nat rcia & Pipiras, Vladas, 2007. "On Rank Estimation In Symmetric Matrices: The Case Of Indefinite Matrix Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(06), pages 1217-1232, December.
- Bas Donkers & Marcia M Schafgans, 2005. "A method of moments estimator for semiparametric index models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2005/493, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anneke Kop).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.