On SETAR non- linearity and forecasting
AbstractWe consider the usefulness of the two-regime SETAR model for out-of-sample forecasting, and compare it with a linear AR model. A range of newly-developed forecast evaluation techniques are employed. Our simulation results show that time-series data need to exhibit a substantial degree of non-linearity before the SETAR model is favoured on some of these criteria. We find only weak evidence that a SETAR model of US GNP provides more accurate forecasts than a linear AR model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute in its series Econometric Institute Report with number EI 9914-/A.
Date of creation: 12 Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.few.eur.nl/few
SETAR model; linear AR model; out-of-sample forecasting;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Gooijer, Jan G. & Kumar, Kuldeep, 1992. "Some recent developments in non-linear time series modelling, testing, and forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 135-156, October.
- Mehmet Pinar & Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012.
"Is there an optimal forecast combination? A stochastic dominance approach applied to the forecast combination puzzle,"
1206, University of Guelph, Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Pinar & Thanasis Stengos & M. Ege Yazgan, 2012. "Is there an Optimal Forecast Combination? A Stochastic Dominance Approach to Forecast Combination Puzzle," Working Paper Series 17_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Giot, Pierre & Petitjean, Mikael, 2007.
"The information content of the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio: Better than a random walk?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 289-305.
- GIOT, Pierre & PETITJEAN, Mikael, 2006. "The information content of the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio: better than a random walk?," CORE Discussion Papers 2006089, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eleni Constantinou & Robert Georgiades & Avo Kazandjian & George Kouretas, 2005. "Regime Switching and Artificial Neural Network Forecasting," Working Papers 0502, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Frédérique Bec & Othman Bouabdallah & Laurent Ferrara, 2011.
"The European Way Out of Recessions,"
THEMA Working Papers
2011-23, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Miguel Ángel Bermejo & Daniel Peña & Ismael Sánchez, 2009. "Graphical identification of TAR models," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws097723, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Costas Milas & Phil Rothman, 2005. "Multivariate STAR Unemployment Rate Forecasts," Econometrics 0502010, EconWPA.
- GIOT, Pierre & PETITJEAN, Mikael, 2005. "Dynamic asset allocation between stocks and bonds using the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio," CORE Discussion Papers 2005010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pedro M.D.C.B. Gouveia & Denise R. Osborn & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2008. "Comparing Seasonal Forecasts of Industrial Production," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 102, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Gianna Boero & Emanuela Marrocu, 2005.
"Evaluating non-linear models on point and interval forecasts: an application with exchange rates,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(232), pages 91-120.
- Gianna Boero & Emanuela Marrocu, 2005. "Evaluating non-linear models on point and interval forecasts: an application with exchange rates," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 58(232), pages 91-120.
- Duarte, A. & Venetis, I. & Payá, I., 2004. "Curva de rendimientos y crecimiento de la producción real en la UEM: eficiencia y estabilidad predictiva./Yield Curve and Real Output Growth in the EMU: Efficiency and Predictive Stability," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 22, pages 21, Abril.
- Angelos Kanas, 2003. "Non-linear forecasts of stock returns," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 299-315.
- Manzan, S. & Zerom, D., 2005. "A Multi-Step Forecast Density," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-05, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Hui Feng & Jia Liu, 2002.
"A SETAR Model for Canadian GDP: Non-Linearities and Forecast Comparisons,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0206, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Hui Feng & Jia Liu, 2003. "A SETAR model for Canadian GDP: non-linearities and forecast comparisons," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1957-1964.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anneke Kop).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.