Determinants of Vertical Intra-Industry Trade of Turkey: Panel Data Approach
AbstractIntra-industry trade (IIT) is the simultaneous export and import of commodities that are classified in the same industry group. The literature on IIT deals with horizontal IIT and vertical IIT, which are concerned with trade of products that are at the same quality and those with different qualities, respectively. Vertical IIT accounts for 80 percent of total IIT of Turkey, therefore this paper focuses on vertical IIT. The aim of this study is to analyze the determinants of vertical IIT between Turkey and 9 major trading partners (namely, Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, United Kingdom and United States of America) for the 1989-2002 period by using panel data approach. The findings of this paper will shed a light on the future foreign trade policy of Turkey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Dokuz Eylül University, Faculty of Business, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 05/05.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 23 Nov 2005
Date of revision: 23 Nov 2005
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.deu.edu.tr/DEUWeb/Icerik/Icerik.php?KOD=442
More information through EDIRC
Intra-industry trade; vertical differentiation; panel data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2005-12-01 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INT-2005-12-01 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Choorikkad Veeramani, 2002. "Intra-industry trade of India: Trends and country-specific factors," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 509-533, September.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Joe Stone & Hyun-Hoon Lee, 1995. "Determinants of intra-industry trade: A longitudinal, cross-country analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 131(1), pages 67-85, March.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Xiaoling Hu & Yue Ma, 1999. "International intra-industry trade of China," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 82-101, March.
- Balassa, Bela & Bauwens, Luc, 1987. "Intra-industry Specialisation in a Multi-country and Multi-industry Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388), pages 923-39, December.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "The Causes and Consequences of the Dependence of Quality on Price," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-48, March.
- Güzin Erlat & Haluk Erlat, 2003. "Measuring Intra-Industry and Marginal Intra-Industry Trade : The Case for Turkey," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 39(6), pages 5-38, November.
- Annette Spellerberg & Denis Huschka & Roland Habich, 2006. "Is the Regional Perspective Useful?: Rural and Urban Quality of Life ; an Assessment," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 650, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sule Akkoyunlu & Konstantin A. Kholodilin & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2006. "The Effect of Economic Reforms of 1980s and of the Customs Union 1996 upon the Turkish Intra-Industry Trade," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 649, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gonca Konyali).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.