Traces of the Second Demographic Transition in four selected countries in Central and Eastern Europe: union formation as a demographic manifestation
AbstractUsing data from the first round of the national Gender and Generations Surveys of Russia, Romania, and Bulgaria, and from a similar survey for Hungary, we study rates of entry into marital and non-marital unions and display manifestations of the Second Demographic Transition in these data. The transition did not start simultaneously in all countries, and above all it began well before the fall of communism and before the societal transition to a market economy got underway around 1990. Bulgaria is a special case whose trends need more attention than those of the other countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany in its series MPIDR Working Papers with number WP-2007-026.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/
Bulgaria; Hungary; Romania; Russian Federation; cohabitation; demographic transition; first marriage;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2007-08-14 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-TRA-2007-08-14 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zsolt Spéder, 2006. "Rudiments of recent fertility decline in Hungary," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 15(8), pages 253-288, October.
- Jan M. Hoem & Dora Kostova & Aiva Jasilioniene & Cornelia Muresan, 2009. "The structure of recent first-union formation in Romania," MPIDR Working Papers, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany WP-2009-002, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Zsolt Spéder & Ferenc Kamarás, 2008. "Hungary: Secular fertility decline with distinct period fluctuations," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 19(18), pages 599-664, July.
- Cordula Zabel, 2008. "Patterns of partnership formation among lone mothers in Russia," MPIDR Working Papers, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany WP-2008-020, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Wilhelm).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.