Improvement of Technical Efficiency in Rice Farming through Interplanting: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis in Yunnan, China
AbstractWe gathered survey data from a random sample of 200 farmer adopters and 59 nonadopters of rice interplanting in Yunnan Province, China in 2000. The data were used to analyze the effect of interplanting on technical efficiency of rice production and to identify the sources of inefficiency, using a stochastic frontier production function. Results showed that adoption of rice interplanting was the major contributing factor to increased technical efficiency in rice production. Separate analyses for adopters and nonadopters clearly showed that although rice interplanting was mainly aimed at controlling blast disease, the absence of the disease also increased the productivity of other inputs like labour, seeds and fertilizer. Farming experience and access to extension were both significant variables for improving technical efficiency. As a farmer’s experience increases, so do his skills in optimally allocating the resources at his/her disposal. The more experience a farmer has, the higher his output and the higher the technical efficiency. Similarly, farmers who had access to extension agents readily adopted the interplanting technology and as a result performed better.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade in its series DEGIT Conference Papers with number c013_015.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
inefficiency; interplanting; monoculture; extension agents; farming experience;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xu, Xiaosong & Jeffrey, Scott R., 1998. "Efficiency and technical progress in traditional and modern agriculture: evidence from rice production in China," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 18(2), March.
- Jirong Wang & Eric J. Wailes & Gail L. Cramer, 1996. "A Shadow-Price Frontier Measurement of Profit Efficiency in Chinese Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 146-156.
- Fan, Shenggen & Cramer, Gail & Wailes, Eric, 1994.
"Food demand in rural China: evidence from rural household survey,"
Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 61-69, September.
- Fan, Shenggen & Cramer, Gail & Wailes, Eric, 1994. "Food demand in rural China: evidence from rural household survey," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(1), September.
- Forsund, Finn R. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1980. "A survey of frontier production functions and of their relationship to efficiency measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 5-25, May.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Xu, Xiaosong & Jeffrey, Scott R., 1998. "Efficiency and technical progress in traditional and modern agriculture: evidence from rice production in China," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 157-165, March.
- Wang, Jirong & Cramer, Gail L. & Wailes, Eric J., 1996. "Production efficiency of Chinese agriculture: evidence from rural household survey data," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 17-28, September.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Singh, Kehar & Dey, Madan Mohan & Rabbani, Abed G. & Sudhakaran, Pratheesh O. & Thapa, Ganesh, 2009. "Technical Efficiency of Freshwater Aquaculture and its Determinants in Tripura, India," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(2).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michaela Rank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.