'I hope this seller won't talk to me!' Social anxiety and the influence of verbal intimacy on the intention to return to a store
AbstractThis article demonstrates that socially anxious consumers avoid close relationships with merchants. An experimental approach (n=102) shows that socially anxious consumers prefer small talk with merchants rather than intimate conversations, whereas non-socially anxious consumers prefer intimate conversations rather than small talk. The results also show that the intention to return the store is lower among socially anxious subjects than among non-socially anxious ones, even in the small talk condition
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/9155.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Anxiété sociale; relation; intimité; fidélité; conversation; Social Penetration Theory; Relationship Marketing; Social Exchange Theory; Social anxiety; Experimental design; Fear of intimacy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.