Valuation of the prepayment option of a perpetual corporate loan
AbstractWe investigate in this paper a perpetual prepayment option related to a corporate loan. The default intensity of the firm is supposed to follow a CIR process. Two frameworks are discussed: first a constant interest rate and a secondly a multi-regime framework where the interest rate is augmented by a liquidity factor dependent on the regime. The prepayment option needs specific attention as the payoff itself is an implicit function of the parameters of the problem and of the dynamics. We establish in the unique regime case analytic formulas for the payoff of the option; in both cases we give a verification result that allows to compute the price of the option. Numerical results that implement the findings are also presented and are completely consistent with the theory; it is seen that when liquidity parameters are very different (i.e., when a liquidity crisis occur) in the high liquidity cost regime the exercise domain may entirely disappear meaning that it is not optimal for the borrower to prepay during such a liquidity crisis. The method allows to quantify and interpret these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/7818.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Abstract and Applied Analysis, 2013, Vol. 2013
Markov modulated dynamics; switching regimes; CIR process; prepayment option; Snell envelope; option pricing; perpetual option; American option; mortgage option; loan prepayment; liquidity regime;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-11-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siu, Tak Kuen & Yang, Hailiang & Lau, John W., 2008. "Pricing currency options under two-factor Markov-modulated stochastic volatility models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 295-302, December.
- Jimmy E. Hilliard & James B. Kau & V. Carlos Slawson, 1998. "Valuing Prepayment and Default in a Fixed-Rate Mortgage: A Bivariate Binomial Options Pricing Technique," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(3), pages 431-468.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.