L'engagement au travail : une analyse psychométrique de l'échelle de Kanungo
AbstractTo overcome the conceptual fuzziness and the “measurement cacophony” related to the job involvement (JI) concept, Kanungo (1979) proposed an approach to JI focused on the individual’s cognition about his or her identification with work. Also, Kanungo’s JI scale has been developed to be used across different environments, avoiding cultural biases in the definition of JI. This paper empirically evaluates Kanungo’s JI scale in the French context, using a sample of graduates in the early stage of their career. The psychometric properties of the scale are examined through descriptive statistics, reliability and validity analysis, principal component analysis, and structural equation modeling. Overall, results show the robustness of the scale when used in a different cultural context. However, the use of one item is seriously questioned, on both empirical and conceptual ground. Therefore, a 9 item version of Kanungo’s JI scale should be considered for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/675.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Revue de Gestion des Ressources Humaines, 2005, no. 58. pp. 31-44.Length: 13 pages
Echelle de mesure; Job involvement; implication; Engagement au travail;
Other versions of this item:
- Serge Perrot, 2005. "L'engagement au travail: une analyse psychométrique de l'échelle de Kanungo," Post-Print halshs-00142919, HAL.
- M12 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Personnel Management; Executives; Executive Compensation
- M51 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Firm Employment Decisions; Promotions
- M54 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Labor Management
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- Pras, Bernard & Evrard, Yves & Roux, Elyette, 2003. "Market : études et recherches en marketing," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/654, Paris Dauphine University.
- Roussel, Patrice & Durrieu, François & Campoy, Eric, 2002. "Méthodes d'équations structurelles : recherches et applications en gestion," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3444, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.