What has happened to the urban population in Côte d'Ivoire since the eighties? An analysis of monetary poverty and deprivation over 15 years of household data
AbstractThis article investigates the evolution of urban poverty in its various dimensions in Côte d'Ivoire since the eighties. The robustness of the results is checked using dominance criteria. An econometric analysis of the determinants of poverty complements the analysis. The study shows that the dynamic of poverty in terms of existence conditions can significantly differ from that of monetary poverty. As was the case in the eighties, monetary poverty increased strongly in the nineties in spite of a return to sustained growth following the devaluation of the CFA Franc. Poverty in terms of existence conditions raised less before the adjustment and even decreased afterwards.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/4692.
Date of creation: Jun 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in World Development, 2002, Vol. 30, no. 6. pp. 1073-1095.Length: 22 pages
urban poverty; deprivation; adjustment; West Africa; Côte d’Ivoire;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Grimm & Charlotte Guénard & Sandrine Mesplé-Somps, 2001. "What has happened to the urban population in Côte d'Ivoire since the eighties ? An analysis of monetary poverty and deprivation over 15 years of household data," Working Papers DT/2001/14, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johnson, Hillary & El Mekkaoui de Freitas, Najat, 2013. "Formal and Informal Social Protection in Iraq," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/13208, Paris Dauphine University.
- Dorothée Boccanfuso & Jean Bosco Ki & Caroline Ménard, 2009. "Pro-Poor Growth Measurements in a Multidimensional Model: A Comparative Approach," Cahiers de recherche 09-22, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2005.
"Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso. A Reassessment of the Paradox,"
DT/2005/07, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2007. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso: A Reassessment of the Paradox," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(1), pages 70-101, January.
- Günther, Isabel & Grimm, Michael, 2007. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso. A Reassessment of the Paradox," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4399, Paris Dauphine University.
- Michael Grimm & Isabel Günther, 2005. "Growth and Poverty in Burkina Faso: A Reassessment of the Paradox," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 482, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael Grimm, 2004. "The medium and long term effects of an expansion of education on poverty in Côte d Ivoire A dynamic microsimulation study," HEW 0405002, EconWPA.
- Grosse, Melanie & Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2008. "Measuring Pro-Poor Growth in Non-Income Dimensions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1021-1047, June.
- Grosse, Melanie & Harttgen, Kenneth & Klasen, Stephan, 2006.
"Measuring Pro-Poor Progress towards the Non-Income Millennium Development Goals,"
Working Paper Series
RP2006/38, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Melanie Grosse & Kenneth Harttgen & Stephan Klasen, 2006. "Measuring Pro-Poor Progress towards the Non-Income Millennium Development Goals," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 144, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.