Banking and Borrowing in the EU ETS: A Review of Economic Modelling, Current Provisions and Prospects for Future Design
AbstractThis article deals with the issue of banking and borrowing in the context of the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS) by attempting to provide a policy-oriented unifying theoretical framework. After describing the main features of the EU ETS, the core part of the article consists of variations of an inter-temporal continuous time optimization model. Additional elements include flexibility measures currently discussed and proposed in other emissions trading systems (USA, Australia), which include the use of safety valves, minimum price auctioning or offsets from domestic or international projects.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/4611.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Economic Surveys, 2012, Vol. 26, no. 1. pp. 157-176.Length: 19 pages
Emissions trading systems; EU ETS;
Other versions of this item:
- Julien Chevallier, 2012. "Banking And Borrowing In The Eu Ets: A Review Of Economic Modelling, Current Provisions And Prospects For Future Design," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 157-176, 02.
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
- Q48 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Government Policy
- D92 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Firm Choice, Investment, Capacity, and Financing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rubin, Jonathan D., 1996. "A Model of Intertemporal Emission Trading, Banking, and Borrowing," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 269-286, November.
- Carlo Carraro & Valentina Bosetti & Emanuele Massetti, 2008.
"Banking Permits: Economic Efficiency and Distributional Effects,"
2008_01, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Bosetti, Valentina & Carraro, Carlo & Massetti, Emanuele, 2009. "Banking permits: Economic efficiency and distributional effects," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 382-403, May.
- Bosetti, Valentina & Carraro, Carlo & Massetti, Emanuele, 2008. "Banking Permits: Economic Efficiency and Distributional Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 6652, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Valentina Bosetti & Carlo Carraro & Emanuele Massetti, 2008. "Banking Permits: Economic Efficiency and Distributional Effects," CESifo Working Paper Series 2214, CESifo Group Munich.
- Valentina Bosetti & Carlo Carraro & Emanuele Massetti, 2008. "Banking Permits: Economic Efficiency and Distributional Effects," Working Papers 2008.1, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Rubin, Jonathan, 1997.
"Bankable Permits for the Control of Environmental Pollution,"
Staff General Research Papers
1479, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kling, Catherine & Rubin, Jonathan, 1997. "Bankable permits for the control of environmental pollution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 101-115, April.
- Stuart Mestelman & Andrew Muller, 1997.
"Emissions Trading with Shares and Coupons when Control over Discharges is Uncertain,"
McMaster Experimental Economics Laboratory Publications
1997-01, McMaster University.
- Godby, Robert W. & Mestelman, Stuart & Muller, R. Andrew & Welland, J. Douglas, 1997. "Emissions Trading with Shares and Coupons when Control over Discharges Is Uncertain," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 359-381, March.
- Meghan McGuinness & Raphael Trotignon, 2007. "Technical Memorandum on Analysis of the EU ETS Using the Community Independent Transaction Log," Working Papers 0712, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Robert N. Stavins, 1998. "What Can We Learn from the Grand Policy Experiment? Lessons from SO2 Allowance Trading," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(3), pages 69-88, Summer.
- Grubb, M. & Neuhoff, K., 2006. "Allocation and competitiveness in the EU emissions trading scheme: policy overview," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0645, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Emilie Alberola & Julien Pierre Chevallier, 2007.
"European carbon prices and banking restrictions: evidence from phase I (2005-2007),"
EconomiX Working Papers
2007-32, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Emilie Alberola & Julien Chevallier, 2009. "European Carbon Prices and Banking Restrictions: Evidence from Phase I (2005-2007)," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 51-80.
- Hahn, Robert W., 1982.
"Market Power and Transferable Property Rights,"
402, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Schleich, Joachim & Ehrhart, Karl-Martin & Hoppe, Christian & Seifert, Stefan, 2004.
"Banning banking in EU emissions trading?,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
04-60, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Baldursson, Fridrik M. & Mortensen, Jørgen Birk, 2003.
"Price Volatility and Banking in Green Certificate Markets,"
Working Papers in Economics
02/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Eirik Amundsen & Fridrik Baldursson & Jørgen Mortensen, 2006. "Price Volatility and Banking in Green Certificate Markets," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(4), pages 259-287, December.
- Eirik S. Amundsen & Fridrik M. Baldursson & Jørgen Birk Mortensen, 2005. "Price Volatility and Banking in Green Certificate Markets," Discussion Papers 05-08, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Paul Leiby & Jonathan Rubin, 2001. "Intertemporal Permit Trading for the Control of Greenhouse Gas Emissions," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 19(3), pages 229-256, July.
- Tobias Kronenberg, 2008. "Should We Worry About The Failure Of The Hotelling Rule?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(4), pages 774-793, 09.
- Schennach, Susanne M., 2000. "The Economics of Pollution Permit Banking in the Context of Title IV of the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 189-210, November.
- Matti Liski & Juan-Pablo Montero, 2006. "On Pollution Permit Banking and Market Power," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 283-302, 05.
- Cronshaw, Mark B & Brown-Kruse, Jamie, 1996. "Regulated Firms in Pollution Permit Markets with Banking," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 179-89, March.
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- Jacoby, Henry D. & Ellerman, A. Denny, 2004. "The safety valve and climate policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 481-491, March.
- Marc Gronwald & Janina Ketterer, 2012. "What Moves the European Carbon Market? - Insights from Conditional Jump Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 3795, CESifo Group Munich.
- Vincent Bertrand, 2013. "Modeling of Emission Allowance Markets: A Literature Review," Working Papers 1304, Chaire Economie du Climat.
- Villeneuve, Bertrand & Creti, Anna, 2013. "Commodity storage with durable shocks : A simple Markovian model," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5384, Paris Dauphine University.
- Arslan Razmi, 2013. "Environmental Macroeconomics: Simple Stylized Frameworks for Short-Run Analysis," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2013-02, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.