Ownership structure and open market stock repurchases in France
AbstractThis paper examines open market stock repurchases in France. We find a positive average market reaction to the repurchase announcement. However, the magnitude of the price reaction is found to depend on a number of corporate governance structure measures. The positive aspects of the announcement only appear for a company with a low likelihood of being taken over, and with a low risk of minority shareholder expropriation. Specifically,stock repurchase programs are good news when the firm is supported by foreign institutional investors, and in the case of controlled firms, when the firm has a second large shareholder,which guarantees an effective balance of power for the controlling shareholders.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/399.
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in European Journal of Finance, 2006, Vol. 12. pp. 77-94.Length: 17 pages
Distribution des dividendes; Open market share repurchases; Structure de l'actionnariat; France; Ownership structure; Undervaluation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G35 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Payout Policy
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Haw, In-Mu & Ho, Simon S.M. & Hu, Bingbing & Zhang, Xu, 2011. "The contribution of stock repurchases to the value of the firm and cash holdings around the world," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 152-166, February.
- Ginglinger, Edith & Hamon, Jacques, 2009.
"Share repurchase regulations: Do firms play by the rules?,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 81-96, June.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jacques Hamon, 2009. "Share repurchase regulations: do firms play by the rules?," Post-Print halshs-00143974, HAL.
- Andreas Hackethal & Alexandre Zdantchouk, 2006. "Signaling Power of Open Market Share Repurchases in Germany," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 123-151, June.
- von Eije, Henk & Megginson, William L., 2008. "Dividends and share repurchases in the European Union," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 347-374, August.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00175873 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.