Equilibrium Pricing Bound on Option Prices
AbstractWe consider the problem of valuing European options in a complete market but with incomplete data. Typically, when the underlying asset dynamics is not specified, the martingale probability measure is unknown. Given a consensus on the actual distribution of the underlying price at maturity, we derive an upper bound on the call option price by putting two kind of restrictions on the pricing probability measure. First, we put a restriction on the second risk-neutral moment of the underlying asset terminal value. Second, from equilibrium pricing arguments one can put a monotonicity restriction on the Radon-Nikodym density of the pricing probability with respect to the true probability measure. This density is restricted to be a nonincreasing function of the underlying price at maturity. The bound appears then as the solution of a constrained optimization problem and we adopt a duality approach to solve it. We obtain a weak sufficient condition for strong duality and existence for the dual problem to hold, for options defined by general payoff functions. Explicit bounds are provided for the call option. Finally, we provide a numerical example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/30.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Mathematics and Financial Economics, 2008, Vol. 1, no. 3-4. pp. 251-281.Length: 30 pages
Conic duality; Semi-infinite programming; Option bounds; Equilibrium prices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D50 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Ritchken & Shyanjaw Kuo, 1989. "On Stochastic Dominance and Decreasing Absolute Risk Averse Option Pricing Bounds," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(1), pages 51-59, January.
- Ritchken, Peter H, 1985. " On Option Pricing Bounds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1219-33, September.
- Grundy, Bruce D, 1991. " Option Prices and the Underlying Asset's Return Distribution," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 1045-69, July.
- Perrakis, Stylianos & Ryan, Peter J, 1984. " Option Pricing Bounds in Discrete Time," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(2), pages 519-25, June.
- Bruce D. Grundy, . "Option Prices and the Underlying Asset's Return Distribution (Reprint 012)," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 11-91, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Elyès Jouini, 2003. "Convergence of the equilibrium prices in a family of financial models," Post-Print halshs-00167153, HAL.
- Constantinides, George M. & Perrakis, Stylianos, 2002.
"Stochastic dominance bounds on derivatives prices in a multiperiod economy with proportional transaction costs,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1323-1352, July.
- George M. Constantinides & Stylianos Perrakis, 2002. "Stochastic Dominance Bounds on Derivative Prices in a Multiperiod Economy with Proportional Transaction Costs," NBER Working Papers 8867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jouini, Elyes & Napp, Clotilde, 2003.
"A class of models satisfying a dynamical version of the CAPM,"
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 299-304, June.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2003. "A class of models satisfying a dynamical version of the CAPM," Post-Print halshs-00167159, HAL.
- Jouini, Elyès, 2003. "Convergence of the equilibrium prices in a family of financial models," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/359, Paris Dauphine University.
- Levy, Haim, 1985. " Upper and Lower Bounds of Put and Call Option Value: Stochastic Dominance Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1197-1217, September.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1987. "Semi-parametric upper bounds for option prices and expected payoffs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 373-387, December.
- Basso, A. & Pianca, P., 2001. "Option pricing bounds with standard risk aversion preferences," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 249-260, October.
- Grundy, R.D., 1991. "Option Prices and the Underlying Asset's Return Distribution," Weiss Center Working Papers 11-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Napp, Clotilde & Jouini, Elyès, 2003. "A Class of Models satisfying a Dynamical Version of the CAPM," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/56, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.