Sunspots and predictable asset returns
AbstractThis paper uses a stylised asset-pricing model to show that sunspots may cause asset returns to be predictable, a widely documented feature of many speculative markets. This result parallels and extends previous works showing that sunspots render asset prices excessively volatile.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/2739.
Date of creation: Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Economic Theory, 2004, Vol. 115, no. 1. pp. 182-190.Length: 8 pages
Cointegration; Return predictability; Sunspots;
Other versions of this item:
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990.
NBER Working Papers
3242, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Culter, D.M. & Poterba, J.M. & Summers, L.H., 1990. "Speculative Dynamics," Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics 544, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Costas Azariadis & Shankha Chakraborty, 1998. "Asset price volatility in a nonconvex general equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 649-665.
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1988.
"Mean reversion in stock prices : Evidence and Implications,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-59, October.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Mean Reversion in Stock Prices: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 2343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1980.
"Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?,"
NBER Working Papers
0456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1981. "Do Stock Prices Move Too Much to be Justified by Subsequent Changes in Dividends?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 421-36, June.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1988. "Dividend yields and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-25, October.
- Challe Edouard & Ragot Xavier, 2011.
"Bubbles and Self-Fulfilling Crises,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-38, May.
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2007. "Bubbles and self-fulfilling crises," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590568, HAL.
- Edouard Challe & Xavier Ragot, 2006. "Bubbles and Self-fulfilling Crises," 2006 Meeting Papers, Society for Economic Dynamics 254, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Edouard Challe, 2005. "Endogenous Participation Rick in Speculative Markets," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005, Money Macro and Finance Research Group 90, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Challe, Edouard, 2008.
"Endogenous participation risk in speculative markets,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University
123456789/12877, Paris Dauphine University.
- Challe, Edouard, 2008. "Endogenous participation risk in speculative markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 2148-2164, July.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00590568 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.