Goodwill and IAS/IFRS : an empirical study of French listed groups
AbstractThe objective of the present paper is to study the accounting treatment of goodwill and practices concerning this intangible asset before the application of new international accounting standards. The empirical study is based on the analysis of 33 annual reports of French top companies listed on the Paris Stock Exchange. The empirical findings enable us to underline a great heterogeneity in current accounting treatment of goodwill in French companies. Our results provide evidence that new accounting standards raise internal problems: the recognition and follow-up of intangible assets, the definition of the components of a Cash-Generating Unit (CGU), the determination of their recoverable amounts and the associated discount rate of goodwill. Besides, we outline the impact of IAS/IFRS concerning the disclosure of accounting and financial information to external partners on this asset.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/1979.
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Entreprises cotées; Information comptable et financière; Goodwill; Intangible assets; Impairment tests; Accounting practices; IAS-IFRS; France;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M4 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
- M48 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.