Payer nuit gravement à la santé : une étude de l’impact du renoncement financier aux soins sur l’état de santé
AbstractThis article focusses on self-assessed unmet needs for financial reasons. We study its social and economic determinants and its consequences on future health status, from a longitu- dinal dataset: the French Heath, Health care and Insurance Survey (Enquête Santé Protection Sociale). We first show that living standards, access to complementary health insurance and life course factors (past, current and anticipated socioeconomic status) have an impact on self-assessed unmet needs. We then show that self-assessed unmet needs have a detrimental causal effect on future health status, suggesting that financial barriers in access to health care contribute to social health inequalities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/12236.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Economie publique, 2012, no. 28-29. pp. 123-147.Length: 24 pages
Self assessed unmet needs; social health inequalities; financial access to healthcare services; inégalité de santé; renoncement aux soins; accès financier aux soins;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- I14 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Inequality
- I13 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Insurance, Public and Private
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-15 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dourgnon, Paul, 2013. "Evaluation des politiques publiques et inégalités sociales d'accès aux services de santé," Economics Thesis from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University, number 123456789/12221 edited by Wittwer, Jérôme, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.