Déterminants de l’inassurabilité du risque de longévité et marché de la rente viagère
AbstractThe rise in life expectancy increases the likelihood that the proportion of the population living to an age at which their means will be exceeded and exposes the states and numerous institutions to an important longevity risk. The stakes are the optimal management of this social risk. Economic theory considers the life annuities to be an excellent method for mitigating this risk. However, the annuities market, purely private and voluntary, is poorly developed in Europe and the United States. The reasons for this under development are not clear. This article considers a number of theoretical and empirical determinants of uninsurability and provides evidence for its causes. Furthermore, it discusses the means for managing and financing the longevity risk, without proposing a unique solution. The paper concludes by suggesting a way to simplify existing insurance products, making them more flexible and less risky. In addition, the policy maker should attempt to reduce market imperfections and intervene to share risk equitably between generations.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Paris Dauphine University in its series Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine with number 123456789/11544.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Revue française d'économie, 2011, Vol. XXVI, no. 4. pp. 81-119.Length: 38 pages
Incertitude (économie politique); Risque de marché; Longévité; Rentes viagères;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- J17 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Value of Life; Foregone Income
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandre Faure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.