Innovation and Education: Is there a ‘Nerd Effect’?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether entrepreneurs with technical education are more innovative in high-tech industries than economists. The main contribution to the literature is in using the type of education as main explanatory variable for innovation. To analyze this question, the KfW/ZEW Start-Up Panel between 2005 and 2007 is used. Two independent OLS regressions are conducted for entrepreneurs with university degree and practical education. The results suggest that education matters for individuals with a university degree in high-tech industries but not for people with practical education. Having an economics degree is correlated with higher innovativeness. Therefore, for the underlying sample we do not find a ‘nerd effect’. The results depend on the underlying definition of innovation, as robustness checks show.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL) in its series Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics with number 56008.
Date of creation: 11 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics . 210 (2012-01-11)
Note: for complete metadata visit http://tubiblio.ulb.tu-darmstadt.de/56008/
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hochschulstr. 1, 64289 Darmstadt
Phone: ++49 (0)6151 16-2701
Fax: ++49 (0)6151 16-6508
Web page: http://www.wi.tu-darmstadt.de/fachgebiete/fachgebiete_4/volkswirtschaftlichefachgebiete.de.jsp
More information through EDIRC
entrepreneurship; innovation; education;
Other versions of this item:
- Goldbach, Stefan, 2012. "Innovation and Education: Is there a 'Nerd Effect'?," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62307, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2012-01-25 (Education)
- NEP-ENT-2012-01-25 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HRM-2012-01-25 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-01-25 (Innovation)
- NEP-LAB-2012-01-25 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Mel, Suresh & McKenzie, David & Woodruff, Christopher, 2009.
"Innovative Firms or Innovative Owners? Determinants of Innovation in Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3962, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- de Mel, Suresh & McKenzie, David & Woodruff, Christopher, 2009. "Innovative firms or innovative owners ? determinants of innovation in micro, small, and medium enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4934, The World Bank.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner & David Scharfstein, 2005. "Entrepreneurial Spawning: Public Corporations and the Genesis of New Ventures, 1986 to 1999," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 577-614, 04.
- Paul Reynolds, 2005. "Understanding Business Creation: Serendipity and Scope in Two Decades of Business Creation Studies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 359-364, 05.
- Uschi Backes-Gellner & Arndt Werner, 2007. "Entrepreneurial Signaling via Education: A Success Factor in Innovative Start-Ups," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 173-190, June.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990.
"The Allocation of Talent: Implicationsfor Growth,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
65, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2002.
"Testing Lazear’s Jack-of-All-Trades View of Entrepreneurship with German Micro Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
592, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J. Wagner, 2003. "Testing Lazear's jack-of-all-trades view of entrepreneurship with German micro data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(11), pages 687-689.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Tucci, Christopher L., 2010. "The innovation-economic growth nexus: Global evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1264-1276, December.
- Helmut Fryges & Sandra Gottschalk & Karsten Kohn, 2010.
"The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 130(1), pages 117-132.
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009. "The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential," IZA Discussion Papers 4441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009. "The KfW/ZEW start-up panel: design and research potential," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-053, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cooray, Arusha, 2010. "The Role of Education in Economic Growth," Economics Working Papers wp10-14, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sobel, Russell S. & King, Kerry A., 2008. "Does school choice increase the rate of youth entrepreneurship?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 429-438, August.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007.
"What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- van Praag, Mirjam & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Parker, Simon C. & van Praag, C. Mirjam, 2006. "Schooling, Capital Constraints, and Entrepreneurial Performance: The Endogenous Triangle," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 416-431, October.
- Dan Bernhardt, 2000. "Credit Rationing?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 235-239, March.
- Asena Caner & Cagla Okten, 2008.
"Risk and Career Choice: Evidence from Turkey,"
0803, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Toivanen, Otto & Väänänen, Lotta, 2011. "Education and Invention," CEPR Discussion Papers 8537, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joachim Wagner, 2006.
"Are nascent entrepreneurs 'Jacks-of-all-trades'? A test of Lazear's theory of entrepreneurship with German data,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2415-2419.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2003. "Are Nascent Entrepreneurs Jacks-of-All-Trades? A Test of Lazear's Theory of Entrepreneurship with German Data," IZA Discussion Papers 911, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gilbert, Richard J & Newbery, David M G, 1982. "Preemptive Patenting and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 514-26, June.
- Davidsson, Per & Honig, Benson, 2003. "The role of social and human capital among nascent entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 301-331, May.
- Justin van der Sluis & Mirjam van Praag & Wim Vijverberg, 2008. "Education And Entrepreneurship Selection And Performance: A Review Of The Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 795-841, December.
- McMahon, Walter W., 1998. "Education and Growth in East Asia," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 159-172, April.
- SylvieCieply & Bernard Paranque & ., 1997. "French manufacturing firms and the capital gap since1985 - a credit rationing approach," Finance 9708002, EconWPA, revised 29 Oct 2000.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dekanatssekretariat).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.