04-01 "Beyond Small-Is-Beautiful: A Buddhist and Feminist Analysis of Ethics and Business"
AbstractBuddhist philosophy teaches a thoroughly relational ontology, holding that what really is are relations and processes enfolding out of a common substrate though time. Often, however, attempts to apply Buddhist thinking to economic issues seem to forget this. Corporations and markets are described in the language of substantive structures and impersonal mechanisms, rather than in relational and process terms. This essay argues that a thorough-going Buddhist analysis, supplemented by contemporary insights from feminist theory, yields a relational understanding of business firms and markets that can help move debates about ethics and business beyond issues of scale.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GDAE, Tufts University in its series GDAE Working Papers with number 04-01.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2004-06-22 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2004-06-22 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2004-06-22 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aguayo, Francisco & Gallagher, Kevin P., 2005. "Economic reform, energy, and development: the case of Mexican manufacturing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 829-837, May.
- Neva R. Goodwin & Jonathan M. Harris, . "01-05 "Better Principles: New Approaches to Teaching Introductory Economics"," GDAE Working Papers 01-05, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Jonathan M. Harris, 2001. "Basic Principles of Sustainable Development," Development and Comp Systems 0106006, EconWPA.
- Neva R. Goodwin & Oleg I. Ananyin & Frank Ackerman & Thomas E. Weisskopf, 2001. "Economics in Context: The Need for a New Textbook," General Economics and Teaching 0106002, EconWPA.
- Jonathan M. Harris, . "01-09 "Macroeconomic Policy and Sustainability"," GDAE Working Papers 01-09, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Francisco Aguayo & Ana Citlalic González, . "01-07 "Dirt is in the Eye of the Beholder: The World Bank Air Pollution Intensities for Mexico"," GDAE Working Papers 01-07, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Jonathan M. Harris & Neva R. Goodwin, . "03-03 "Reconciling Growth and Environment"," GDAE Working Papers 03-03, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Jonathan M. Harris, . "01-04 "Agriculture in a Global Perspective"," GDAE Working Papers 01-04, GDAE, Tufts University.
- Kevin Gallagher, 2001. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Pollution in Mexico: Lessons for the FTAA"," International Trade 0106003, EconWPA.
- Kevin P. Gallagher & Frank Ackerman & Luke Ney, . "02-01 "Economic Analysis in Environmental Reviews of Trade Agreements: Assessing the North American Experience"," GDAE Working Papers 02-01, GDAE, Tufts University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erin Coutts).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.