Monitoring Forecasting Combinations with Semiparametric Regression Models
AbstractIn this study, a modelling framework is proposed for evaluating the accuracy of forecasting combinations when the number of available forecasts is large and changes in time. Squared forecast errors are modelled with a semiparametric additive regression model where the linear part involves indicator variables reflecting the time period when the forecast is performed and the nonparametric part involves a smooth function of the number of individual forecasts entering the combinations. The partial regression estimates permit two-dimensional plots of the relationship between squared forecast errors and the number of forecasts entering the combinations and can be used to assess the contribution of additional forecasts in reducing the forecast errors. The method is demonstrated with six empirical applications using macroeconomic forecasts published by Her Majesty’s Treasury.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Cyprus in its series Working Papers with number 2012-02.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=1
More information through EDIRC
Forecasting combinations; semiparametric models; forecast errors.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fair, Ray C & Shiller, Robert J, 1990. "Comparing Information in Forecasts from Econometric Models," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 375-89, June.
- David Harvey & Paul Newbold, 2000. "Tests for multiple forecast encompassing," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(5), pages 471-482.
- Fang, Yue, 2003. "Forecasting combination and encompassing tests," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-94.
- Jose, Victor Richmond R. & Winkler, Robert L., 2008. "Simple robust averages of forecasts: Some empirical results," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 163-169.
- Turgut Kisinbay, 2007.
"The Use of Encompassing Tests for Forecast Combinations,"
IMF Working Papers
07/264, International Monetary Fund.
- Turgut Kışınbay, 2010. "The use of encompassing tests for forecast combinations," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(8), pages 715-727, December.
- Harvey, David I & Leybourne, Stephen J & Newbold, Paul, 1998. "Tests for Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 254-59, April.
- Mauro Costantini & Robert M. Kunst, 2011.
"Combining forecasts based on multiple encompassing tests in a macroeconomic core system,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 579-596, September.
- Costantini, Mauro & Kunst, Robert M., 2009. "Combining Forecasts Based on Multiple Encompassing Tests in a Macroeconomic Core System," Economics Series 243, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Swanson, Norman R & Zeng, Tian, 2001. "Choosing among Competing Econometric Forecasts: Regression-Based Forecast Combination Using Model Selection," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 425-40, September.
- Ericsson, Neil R & Marquez, Jaime, 1993. "Encompassing the Forecasts of U.S. Trade Balance Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 19-31, February.
- Spyros Makridakis & Robert L. Winkler, 1983. "Averages of Forecasts: Some Empirical Results," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(9), pages 987-996, September.
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
- Cleveland, William S. & Devlin, Susan J. & Grosse, Eric, 1988. "Regression by local fitting : Methods, properties, and computational algorithms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 87-114, January.
- Diebold, Francis X., 1989.
"Forecast combination and encompassing: Reconciling two divergent literatures,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 589-592.
- Francis X. Diebold, 1989. "Forecast combination and encompassing: reconciling two divergent literatures," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 80, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Chong, Yock Y & Hendry, David F, 1986. "Econometric Evaluation of Linear Macro-Economic Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 671-90, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Nicolaidou).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.