Public Infrastructures and Regional Asymmetries in Spain
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to investigate the effects of public infrastructure on regional economic performance in Spain. The empirical results are based on VAR models relating output, employment, private capital, and public infrastructure. We estimate models at the aggregate level and for each of the 17 regions of Spain. In the regional models, both public infrastructure in the region and public infrastructure elsewhere are considered, thereby taking into consideration the possible existence of regional spillovers. Our empirical results show that regional spillovers are very important, and that although public infrastructure has been a powerful instrument to promote long-term growth, it has done so in a way that is unbalanced across regions. This means that aggregate convergence in Spain to EU standards of living has been achieved at the cost of increased domestic asymmetries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, College of William and Mary in its series Working Papers with number 46.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 08 Oct 2006
Date of revision: 30 Mar 2007
public infrastructures; regional spillovers; regional asymmetries;
Other versions of this item:
- Alfredo MARVÃO PEREIRA & Oriol ROCA-SAGALES, 2007. "Public infrastructure and regional asymmetries in Spain," Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine, Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 503-519.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-10-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2006-10-28 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PBE-2006-10-28 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Alan Aschauer, 1997. "Output and Employment Effects of Public Policy," Macroeconomics 9711002, EconWPA.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Does public capital crowd out private capital?,"
88-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles Evans, 1994.
"The effects of monetary policy shocks: evidence from the Flow of Funds,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
94-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles Evans, 1994. "The effects of monetary policy shocks: evidence from the flow of funds," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Apr.
- Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles, 1996. "The Effects of Monetary Policy Shocks: Evidence from the Flow of Funds," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 16-34, February.
- Pereira, Alfredo M. & de Frutos, Rafael Flores, 1999. "Public Capital Accumulation and Private Sector Performance," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 300-322, September.
- Mercedes Gumbau Albert & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Pedro Cantos, 2002.
"Transport Infrastructures And Regional Growth: Evidence Of The Spanish Case,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2002-27, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Cantos, Pedro & Gumbau-Albert, Mercedes & Maudos, Joaquin, 2005. "Transport infrastructures and regional growth: evidence of the Spanish case," MPRA Paper 15261, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D, 1998.
"Do Measures of Monetary Policy in a VAR Make Sense?,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 907-31, November.
- Rudebusch, G.D., 1996. "Do Measures of Monetary Policy in a VAR Make Sense?," Papers 269, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1996. "Do measures of monetary policy in a VAR make sense?," Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory 96-05, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1997.
"Monetary policy shocks: what have we learned and to what end?,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
WP-97-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christiano, Lawrence J. & Eichenbaum, Martin & Evans, Charles L., 1999. "Monetary policy shocks: What have we learned and to what end?," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 65-148 Elsevier.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1998. "Monetary Policy Shocks: What Have We Learned and to What End?," NBER Working Papers 6400, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bentolila, S, 1996.
"Sticky Labor in Spanish Regions,"
9616, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2004. "Public highway spending and state spillovers in the USA," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(12), pages 785-788.
- Alfredo M. Pereira, 2000. "Is All Public Capital Created Equal?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 513-518, August.
- Pereira, Alfredo Marvao & Roca-Sagales, Oriol, 2003.
"Spillover effects of public capital formation: evidence from the Spanish regions,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 238-256, March.
- Alfredo Marvao Pereira & Oriol Roca Sagalés, 2002. "Spillover effects of public capital formation : evidence from the spanish regions," Working Papers wpdea0210, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Isabel Argimon & Jose Gonzalez-Paramo & Jose Roldan, 1997. "Evidence of public spending crowding-out from a panel of OECD countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1001-1010.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 2000. "Intertemporal Output and Employment Effects of Public Infrastructure Capital: Evidence from 12 OECD Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 687-712, July.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2006.
"On the Economic and Fiscal Effects of Investment in Road Infrastructure in Portugal,"
33, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary, revised 15 Sep 2010.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2010. "On the Economic and Fiscal Effects of Investments in Road Infrastructures in Portugal," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(3), pages 465-492, September.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013.
"On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment:A survey of the international evidence,"
108, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013. "On The Economic Effects Of Public Infrastructure Investment: A Survey Of The International Evidence," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(4), pages 1-37, December.
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2012. "On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment: A survey of the international evidence," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_10, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Gianpiero Torrisi, 2010.
"Infrastructures and Economic Performance: A Critical Comparison Across Four Approaches,"
Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields,
ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 86-96, June.
- Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009. "Infrastructures and economic performance: a critical comparison across four approaches," MPRA Paper 18688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Antonio Estache, 2010. "A survey of impact evaluations of infrastructure projects, programs and policies," Working Papers ECARES 2010_005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daifeng He) or (Alfredo Pereira).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.