Consumption, Liquidity Constraints and Asset Accumulation in the Presence of Random Income Fluctuations
AbstractRecent empirical research, Flavin (1981), Hagashi (1982), has rejected the certainty-equivalent formulation of permanent income hypothesis, Hall (1978). These findings are often attributed to households' inability to borrow completely against expected future labor income. This paper is a theoretical investigation of optimal consumption behavior under risk aversion, random income fluctuations, and borrowing restrictions. Our principle objective is to establish the existence and to investigate the properties of the stationary probability distribution which characterizes the asymptotic behavior of consumption under these conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 705R.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: May 1984
Date of revision: Jul 1985
Publication status: Published in Economic Review (June 1987), 28(2): 339-351
Note: CFP 689.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Other versions of this item:
- Clarida, Richard H, 1987. "Consumption, Liquidity Constraints and Asset Accumulation in the Presence of Random Income Fluctuations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(2), pages 339-51, June.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Hiebert & Javier J. Pérez & Massimo Rostagno, 2002.
"Debt reduction and automatic stabilisation,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2002/12, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Partha Chatterjee & Malik Shukayev, 2008.
"A Stochastic Dynamic Model of Trade and Growth: Convergence and Diversification,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c013_034, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Chatterjee, Partha & Shukayev, Malik, 2012. "A stochastic dynamic model of trade and growth: Convergence and diversification," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 416-432.
- Li, Geng, 2009.
"Transaction costs and consumption,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1263-1277, June.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1995.
"Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1090, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Working Papers _019, Yale University.
- V A Hajivassiliou & Y Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," CEP Discussion Papers dp0243, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1999. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9925, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A. & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1996. "Duality and liquidity constraints under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1177-1192.
- Flavio Cunha & James J. Heckman & Lance Lochner & Dimitriy V. Masterov, 2005.
"Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation,"
NBER Working Papers
11331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance, 2006. "Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance & Masterov, Dimitriy V., 2005. "Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation," IZA Discussion Papers 1675, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, .
"Real Interest Rates, Liquidity Constraints and Financial Deregulation: Private Consumption Behaviour in the UK,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
97-12, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P., 1998. "Real Interest Rates, Liquidity Constraints and Financial Deregulation: Private Consumption Behavior in the U.K," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 221-242, April.
- Chamley, Christophe, 2001. "Capital income taxation, wealth distribution and borrowing constraints," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Rabault, Guillaume, 2002. "When do borrowing constraints bind? Some new results on the income fluctuation problem," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 217-245, February.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1992. "A Note on the Dual Approach to the Existence and Characterization of Optimal Consumption Decisions Under Uncertainty and Liquidity Constraints," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1018, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Patrick Honohan, 1995. "The Impact of Financial and Fiscal Policies on Saving," Papers WP059, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Jerome Adda & Jonathan Eaton, 1998.
"Borrowing iwth Unobserved Liquidity Constraints: Structural Estimation with an Application to Sovereign Debt,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
84, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Adda, Jérôme & Eaton, Jonathan, 1998. "Borrowing with unobserved liquidity constraints structural estimation with an application to sovereign debt," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9806, CEPREMAP.
- Partha Chatterjee & Malik Shukayev, 2006. "Convergence in a Stochastic Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Working Papers 06-23, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.