Regulation of Natural Monopolies and the Fair Rate of Return
AbstractDefining "fair return" when profits are random has been a central problem in the theory of regulation. In this paper, we develop a simple but general concept of fair return based on an equilibrium model of production under uncertainty. We propose regulatory behavior which will induce firms to make efficient input choices, while at the same time guaranteeing fair returns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 362.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 1973
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Other versions of this item:
- Hayne E. Leland, 1974. "Regulation of Natural Monopolies and the Fair Rate of Return," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 5(1), pages 3-15, Spring.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mirucki, Jean, 1980.
"Vérification des conditions d'efficacité dans la production chez Bell Canada
[Checking the conditions of efficient production in Bell Canada]," MPRA Paper 30147, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 1980.
- Mirucki, Jean, 1980.
"Comportement de l'entreprise réglementée: étude de l'hypothèse Averch-Johnson
[Behavior of the Regulated Firm: A Study of the Averch-Johnson Hypothesis]," MPRA Paper 27669, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 1982.
- Wayne Y. Lee & Anjan V. Thakor, 2004. "Regulatory Pricing and Capital Investment under Asymmetric Information about Cost," Finance 0411022, EconWPA.
- Wayne Y. Lee & Anjan V. Thakor, 1982. "Optimal Regulatory Pricing Under Asymmetric Cost Information," Discussion Papers 580, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kalu, Timothy Ch. U., 1995. "A uniform profit margin policy and its effects on mineral producing firms The case of the oil industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 61-72, March.
- David P. Baron & Robert Taggart Jr., 1978. "Regulatory Pricing Policies and Input Choices Under Uncertainty," Discussion Papers 315, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Louis Alessi, 1974. "Aneconomic analysis of government ownership and reculation," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 1-42, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.