On Confidence Intervals for Autoregressive Roots and Predictive Regression
AbstractA prominent use of local to unity limit theory in applied work is the construction of confidence intervals for autogressive roots through inversion of the ADF t statistic associated with a unit root test, as suggested in Stock (1991). Such confidence intervals are valid when the true model has an autoregressive root that is local to unity (rho = 1 + (c/n)) but are invalid at the limits of the domain of definition of the localizing coefficient c because of a failure in tightness and the escape of probability mass. Consideration of the boundary case shows that these confidence intervals are invalid for stationary autoregression where they manifest locational bias and width distortion. In particular, the coverage probability of these intervals tends to zero as c approaches -infinity, and the width of the intervals exceeds the width of intervals constructed in the usual way under stationarity. Some implications of these results for predictive regression tests are explored. It is shown that when the regressor has autoregressive coefficient |rho|
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 1879.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2012-10-06 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2012-10-06 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2012-10-06 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2004.
"Limit Theory for Moderate Deviations from a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1471, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2007. "Limit theory for moderate deviations from a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 115-130, January.
- Peter C.B.Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2009. "Econometric Inference in the Vicinity of Unity," Working Papers CoFie-06-2009, Sim Kee Boon Institute for Financial Economics.
- Elliott, Graham & Stock, James H., 2001. "Confidence intervals for autoregressive coefficients near one," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 155-181, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.