Estimated Macroeconomic Effects of a Chinese Yuan Appreciation
AbstractThis paper uses a multicountry macroeconometric model to estimate the macroeconomic effects of a Chinese yuan appreciation. The estimated effects on U.S. output and employment are modest. Positive effects on U.S. output from a decrease in imports from China are offset by negative effects on U.S. output from increased inflation and from a decrease in U.S. exports to China because of a Chinese contraction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 1755.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Business Economics (October 2010), 45: 233-243
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2010-03-20 (China)
- NEP-IFN-2010-03-20 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2010-03-20 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 2007.
"Macroeconomic modeling for monetary policy evaluation,"
Economics Working Papers
1039, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2007.
- Jordi Gal� & Mark Gertler, 2007. "Macroeconomic Modeling for Monetary Policy Evaluation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 25-46, Fall.
- Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 2007. "Macroeconomic Modeling for Monetary Policy Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 13542, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philip Levy, 2011.
"The United States and the PRC : Macroeconomic Imbalances and Economic Diplomacy,"
Governance Working Papers
23208, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Philip Levy, 2011. "The United States and the PRC : Macroeconomic Imbalances and Economic Diplomacy," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23208, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Levy, Philip, 2011. "The United States and the PRC: Macroeconomic Imbalances and Economic Diplomacy," ADBI Working Papers 328, Asian Development Bank Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.