Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing
AbstractIn time series regressions with nonparametrically autocorrelated errors, it is now standard empirical practice to use kernel-based robust standard errors that involve some smoothing function over the sample autocorrelations. The underlying smoothing parameter b, which can be defined as the ratio of the bandwidth (or truncation lag) to the sample size, is a tuning parameter that plays a key role in determining the asymptotic properties of the standard errors and associated semiparametric tests. Small-b asymptotics involve standard limit theory such as standard normal or chi-squared limits, whereas fixed-b asymptotics typically lead to nonstandard limit distributions involving Brownian bridge functionals. The present paper shows that the nonstandard fixed-b limit distributions of such nonparametrically studentized tests provide more accurate approximations to the finite sample distributions than the standard small-b limit distribution. In particular, using asymptotic expansions of both the finite sample distribution and the nonstandard limit distribution, we confirm that the second-order corrected critical value based on the expansion of the nonstandard limiting distribution is also second-order correct under the standard small-b asymptotics. We further show that, for typical economic time series, the optimal bandwidth that minimizes a weighted average of type I and type II errors is larger by an order of magnitude than the bandwidth that minimizes the asymptotic mean squared error of the corresponding long-run variance estimator. A plug-in procedure for implementing this optimal bandwidth is suggested and simulations confirm that the new plug-in procedure works well in finite samples.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 1545.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Econometrica (2008), 76(1): 175-194
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Other versions of this item:
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C. B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2008. "Optimal Bandwidth Selection in Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 175-194, 01.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2006-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-01-24 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Tassos Magdalinos, 2004.
"Limit Theory for Moderate Deviations from a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1471, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C.B. & Magdalinos, Tassos, 2007. "Limit theory for moderate deviations from a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 115-130, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Victor Solo, 1989. "Asymptotics for Linear Processes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 932, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2012. "Heteroskedasticity, autocorrelation, and spatial correlation robust inference in linear panel models with fixed-effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 303-319.
- Sun, Yixiao & Kaplan, David M., 2011. "A New Asymptotic Theory for Vector Autoregressive Long-run Variance Estimation and Autocorrelation Robust Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8cx0t4gc, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2013.
"Let's Fix It: Fixed-b Asymptotics versus Small-b Asymptotics in Heteroscedasticity and Autocorrelation Robust Inference,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt8x8307rz, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2014. "Let’s fix it: Fixed-b asymptotics versus small-b asymptotics in heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation robust inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 659-677.
- Zhang, Jingsi & Jiang, Wenxin & Shao, Xiaofeng, 2013. "Bayesian model selection based on parameter estimates from subsamples," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(4), pages 979-986.
- Kim, Min Seong & Sun, Yixiao, 2011. "Spatial heteroskedasticity and autocorrelation consistent estimation of covariance matrix," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(2), pages 349-371, February.
- Manuel Landajo & María Presno, 2013. "Nonparametric pseudo-Lagrange multiplier stationarity testing," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 65(1), pages 125-147, February.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2012. "Robustifying multivariate trend tests to nonstationary volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 169(2), pages 147-154.
- Travaglini, Guido, 2010. "Dynamic Econometric Testing of Climate Change and of its Causes," MPRA Paper 23600, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2013. "Fixed-smoothing Asymptotics in a Two-step GMM Framework," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt64x4z265, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Sun, Yixiao & Phillips, Peter C.B. & Jin, Sainan, 2011.
"Power Maximization And Size Control In Heteroskedasticity And Autocorrelation Robust Tests With Exponentiated Kernels,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(06), pages 1320-1368, December.
- Yixiao Sun & Peter C.B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2010. "Power Maximization and Size Control in Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Robust Tests with Exponentiated Kernels," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1749, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sun, Yixiao, 2011. "Robust trend inference with series variance estimator and testing-optimal smoothing parameter," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 164(2), pages 345-366, October.
- Müller, Ulrich K. & Watson, Mark W., 2013. "Low-frequency robust cointegration testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 66-81.
- Daniel J. Nordman & Helle Bunzel & Soumendra N. Lahiri, 2012. "A Non-standard Empirical Likelihood for Time Series," CREATES Research Papers 2012-55, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Mertens, Elmar, 2012. "Are spectral estimators useful for long-run restrictions in SVARs?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 1831-1844.
- McElroy, Tucker & Politis, Dimitris, 2013. "Spectral Density and Spectral Distribution Inference for Long Memory Time Series via Fixed-b Asymptotics," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6164c110, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Ulrich Müller & Mark W. Watson, 2009. "Low-Frequency Robust Cointegration Testing," NBER Working Papers 15292, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sun, Yixiao & Kim, Min Seong, 2012. "Simple and powerful GMM over-identification tests with accurate size," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(2), pages 267-281.
- Masao Ogaki & Sungwook Park, 2007. "Long-run real exchange rate changes and the properties of the variance of k-differences," Working Papers 07-05, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Preinerstorfer, David & Pötscher, Benedikt M., 2013. "On Size and Power of Heteroscedasticity and Autocorrelation Robust Tests," MPRA Paper 45675, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Landajo, Manuel & Presno, María José, 2010. "Nonparametric pseudo-Lagrange multiplier stationarity testing," MPRA Paper 25659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.