Foreign Direct Investment in Central and Eastern European Countries : The Role of Institutional Reforms
AbstractDespite increasing flows of foreign direct investment (FDI), an important gap still exists between FDI toward Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs) and their actual needs to support structural adjustment. Using a Cournot duopoly model with a profit-maximizing foreign-based multinational (MNE) and a local labour-managed firm, I show that insufficient advancement in ‘marketization’ and regulatory framework inadequacy are major elements deterring FDI. I conclude that the creation of market-oriented infrastructures would be welcome, and that the European Union should have a role in inducing CEEC governments to commit to reforms in exchange of firmer prospects of membership.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 1995024.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1994
Date of revision: 14 Jul 1995
multinational firm; mixed duopoly; build vs. buy; reforms; wage differential;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L12 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Monopoly; Monopolization Strategies
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- P13 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems - - - Cooperative Enterprises
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlo Altomonte, 1998. "FDI in the CEEC's and the Theory of Real Options: An Empirical Assessment," LICOS Discussion Papers 7698, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.