Fast algorithm for smoothing parameter selection in multidimensional generalized P-splines
AbstractA new computational algorithm for estimating the smoothing parameters of a multidimensional penalized spline generalized model with anisotropic penalty is presented. This new proposal is based on the mixed model representation of a multidimensional P-spline, in which the smoothing parameter for each covariate is expressed in terms of variance components. On the basis of penalized quasi-likelihood methods (PQL), closed-form expressions for the estimates of the variance components are obtained. This formulation leads to an efficient implementation that can considerably reduce the computational load. The proposed algorithm can be seen as a generalization of the algorithm by Schall (1991) - for variance components estimation - to deal with non-standard structures of the covariance matrix of the random effects. The practical performance of the proposed computational algorithm is evaluated by means of simulations, and comparisons with alternative methods are made on the basis of the mean square error criterion and the computing time. Finally, we illustrate our proposal with the analysis of two real datasets: a two dimensional example of historical records of monthly precipitation data in USA and a three dimensional one of mortality data from respiratory disease according to the age at death, the year of death and the month of death
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría in its series Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers with number ws133026.
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Madrid, 126 - 28903 GETAFE (MADRID)
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/DEE/departamento.html
More information through EDIRC
Smoothing; P-splines; Tensor product; Anisotropic penalty; Mixed Models;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eilers, Paul H.C. & Currie, Iain D. & Durban, Maria, 2006. "Fast and compact smoothing on large multidimensional grids," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 61-76, January.
- I. D. Currie & M. Durban & P. H. C. Eilers, 2006. "Generalized linear array models with applications to multidimensional smoothing," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(2), pages 259-280.
- Simon N. Wood, 2011. "Fast stable restricted maximum likelihood and marginal likelihood estimation of semiparametric generalized linear models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 73(1), pages 3-36, January.
- X. Lin & D. Zhang, 1999. "Inference in generalized additive mixed modelsby using smoothing splines," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(2), pages 381-400.
- Simon N. Wood, 2003. "Thin plate regression splines," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(1), pages 95-114.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.