Stability of the optimal reinsurance with respect to the risk measure
AbstractThe optimal reinsurance problem is a classic topic in Actuarial Mathematics. Recent approaches consider a coherent or expectation bounded risk measure and minimize the global risk of the ceding company under adequate constraints. However, there is no consensus about the risk measure that the insurer must use, since every risk measure presents advantages and shortcomings when compared with others. This paper deals with a discrete probability space and analyzes the stability of the optimal reinsurance with respect to the risk measure that the insurer uses. We will demonstrate that there is a “stable optimal retention” that will show no sensitivity, insofar as it will solve the optimal reinsurance problem for many risk measures, thus providing a very robust reinsurance plan. This stable optimal retention is a stop-loss contract, and it is easy to compute in practice. A fast algorithm will be given and a numerical example presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa in its series Business Economics Working Papers with number wb100201.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Optimal reinsurance; Risk measure; Sensitivity; Stable optimal retention; Stop-loss reinsurance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2010-01-30 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2010-01-30 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Annaert, Jan & Osselaer, Sofieke Van & Verstraete, Bert, 2009. "Performance evaluation of portfolio insurance strategies using stochastic dominance criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 272-280, February.
- Goovaerts, Marc J. & Kaas, Rob & Dhaene, Jan & Tang, Qihe, 2004. "Some new classes of consistent risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 505-516, June.
- R. Rockafellar & Stan Uryasev & Michael Zabarankin, 2006. "Generalized deviations in risk analysis," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 51-74, 01.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Raquel & Garrido, José, 2010. "Extending pricing rules with general risk functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(1), pages 23-33, February.
- Ogryczak, Wlodzimierz & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 1999.
"From stochastic dominance to mean-risk models: Semideviations as risk measures,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 33-50, July.
- W. Ogryczak & A. Ruszczynski, 1997. "From Stochastic Dominance to Mean-Risk Models: Semideviations as Risk Measures," Working Papers ir97027, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Alexander Schied, 2007. "Optimal investments for risk- and ambiguity-averse preferences: a duality approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 107-129, January.
- Miller, Naomi & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2008. "Risk-adjusted probability measures in portfolio optimization with coherent measures of risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 193-206, November.
- Gajek, Leslaw & Zagrodny, Dariusz, 2004. "Optimal reinsurance under general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 227-240, April.
- Marco Frittelli & Giacomo Scandolo, 2006. "Risk Measures And Capital Requirements For Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 589-612.
- Carole Bernard & Weidong Tian, 2009. "Optimal Reinsurance Arrangements Under Tail Risk Measures," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 709-725.
- Benati, Stefano, 2003. "The optimal portfolio problem with coherent risk measure constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 572-584, November.
- Kaluszka, Marek, 2005. "Optimal reinsurance under convex principles of premium calculation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 375-398, June.
- Burgert, Christian & Ruschendorf, Ludger, 2006. "Consistent risk measures for portfolio vectors," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 289-297, April.
- Deprez, Olivier & Gerber, Hans U., 1985. "On convex principles of premium calculation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 179-189, July.
- Laeven, Roger J. A. & Goovaerts, Marc J., 2004. "An optimization approach to the dynamic allocation of economic capital," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 299-319, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.