Income inequality in the European Union: evidence from a panel analysis
AbstractUnderstanding the reasons underlying income inequality has generated considerable interest in the last years and various theoretical analyses have been developed to explain international differences in income distribution between groups of countries at different stages of economic development. However, structural investigations of the contemporary effects of the forces shaping the evolution of income inequality are difficult to find. Moreover, little attention has been given to the increasing inequality merely among advanced economies. For these reasons, we develop a theoretical framework to provide a comprehensive analysis of the factors affecting income distribution in a particular set of advanced economies, the European Union countries, and utilize a fifteen year panel of 25 countries to identify the short term effects of several considerable determinants of household income inequality. On the basis of the main findings, we conclude providing some policy indications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) in its series DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Politica Economica with number ispe0065.
Date of creation: Apr 2013
Date of revision:
Household disposable income distribution; European Union; structural determinants; panel models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andreas Behr & Ulrich Pötter, 2010. "What determines wage differentials across the EU?," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 101-120, March.
- Atkinson, A B, 2008. "The Changing Distribution of Earnings in OECD Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199532438.
- Atkinson, A-B, 1996.
"Bringing Income Distribution in from the Cold,"
117, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Redmond, Gerry & Kattuman, Paul, 2001.
"Employment Polarisation and Inequality in the UK and Hungary,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 25(4), pages 467-80, July.
- Redmond, G. & Kattuman, P., 2000. "Employment Polarisation and Inequality in the UK and Hungary," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0006, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "The Impact of Income Components on the Distribution of Family Incomes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 311-26, May.
- Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2009.
"The distributional impact of in kind public benefits in European countries,"
EUROMOD Working Papers
EM10/09, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Alari Paulus & Holly Sutherland & Panos Tsakloglou, 2010. "The distributional impact of in-kind public benefits in European countries," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 243-266.
- Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly & Tsakloglou, Panos, 2009. "The Distributional Impact of In Kind Public Benefits in European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 4581, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010.
"Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe,"
CHILD Working Papers
wp06_10, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Checchi, Daniele & Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2010. "Fair and Unfair Income Inequalities in Europe," IZA Discussion Papers 5025, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2010. "Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe," Working Papers 174, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 2009.
"Inequality, Integration, and Policy: Issues and evidence from EMU,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7251, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giuseppe Bertola, 2010. "Inequality, integration, and policy: issues and evidence from EMU," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 345-365, September.
- Miles Corak & Wen-Hao Chen, 2005.
"Child Poverty and Changes in Child Poverty in Rich Countries since 1990,"
Innocenti Working Papers
inwopa05/28, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Chen, Wen-Hao & Corak, Miles, 2005. "Child Poverty and Changes in Child Poverty in Rich Countries Since 1990," IZA Discussion Papers 1574, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Spector, David, 2004.
"Competition and the capital-labor conflict,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 25-38, February.
- A. B. Atkinson & A. Brandolini, 2009. "On data: a case study of the evolution of income inequality across time and across countries," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(3), pages 381-404, May.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Frazer, Garth, 2006. "Inequality and development across and within countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1459-1481, September.
- Gustavo A. Marrero & Juan Gabriel Rodríguez, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Europe: Economic and policy facts," Working Papers 172, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Nathalie Chusseau & Michel Dumont & Jo�l Hellier, 2008. "Explaining Rising Inequality: Skill-Biased Technical Change And North-South Trade ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 409-457, 07.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. " Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Robert Erikson & John H. Goldthorpe, 2002. "Intergenerational Inequality: A Sociological Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 31-44, Summer.
- Marco Arnone & Carlo Bellavite Pellegrini & Franco Timpano, 2004. "Modelli di Agenzie di Sviluppo Regionale: Analisi Teorica ed Evidenza Empirica," Development and Comp Systems 0404004, EconWPA.
- Villar Antonio, 2005. "On the Welfare Evaluation of Income and Opportunity," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Braga, Michela & Checchi, Daniele & Meschi, Elena, 2011. "Institutional Reforms and Educational Attainment in Europe: A Long Run Perspective," IZA Discussion Papers 6190, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Michael F. Förster & Marco Mira d'Ercole, 2005. "Income Distribution and Poverty in OECD Countries in the Second Half of the 1990s," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 22, OECD Publishing.
- John S L McCombie & Marta Spreafico, 2013. "Can only democracies enhance “Human Development”? Evidence from the Former Soviet Countries," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Politica Economica ispe0066, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giuseppina Malerba).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.