The Machine Tool Industry in Italy: Industrial Innovations and Performances
AbstractThe machine tool industry has a leading role in the Italian manufacturing system, above all in Northern Italy. This industrial branch is a strategic intermediate point in many manufacture dies, with an average innovation intensity higher than that of many other industrial branches. This work investigates if and in which way the innovation and the R&D processes carried out in the sector firms affect their productivity. We built a significant sample, which answered a questionnaire based on the CIS (Community Innovation Survey). Also a regional geographic dimension is used, to test the presence of specific local effects. Results show a positive and strong contribution from human capital to productivity, while, in the short term, physical capital have a negative impact, a result probably influenced by the economic crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE) in its series DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali with number dises1391.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Review of Economics, Month aaaa, pages nn1-nn2
Innovation; Machine tool industry; Firm productivity; Regions.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L64 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Other Machinery; Business Equipment; Armaments
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-08-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2013-08-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HME-2013-08-05 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2013-08-05 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2013-08-05 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2013-08-05 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Timpano).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.