A Ricardo-Viner Approach to Service Offshoring
AbstractEmpirical contributions on service offshoring show less pronounced labor market implications than with material offshoring. Since no formal model exists investigating service offshoring in particular, empirical examinations are not based on properly defined hypothesis. This contribution formalizes service offshoring within a Ricardo-Viner specific factors model. As service offshoring is assumed to expand the range of possible offshoring scenarios,results differ from those of material offshoring. The different scenarios have opposite implications and sum up to marginal effects in the aggregate. This theoretical contribution thus is capable of explaining empirical findings so far and provides clear testable hypotheses for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano in its series Development Working Papers with number 290.
Date of creation: 30 Apr 2010
Date of revision: 30 Apr 2010
service offshoring; trade in services; specific factors model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosario Crinò, 2009.
"Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment,"
391, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Rosario Crinò, 2007. "Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment," CESifo Working Paper Series 2040, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rosario Crinò, 2009. "Service Offshoring and White-Collar Employment," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 775.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2004.
"Fear of Service Outsourcing: Is it Justified?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Service Offshoring and Productivity: Evidence from the US," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 203-220, 02.
- Jagdish Bhagwati & Arvind Panagariya & T. N. Srinivasan, 2004.
"The Muddles over Outsourcing,"
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "Labour demand effects of international outsourcing: Evidence from plant-level data," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-376.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chiara Elli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.