Firms’ Productivity and Internationalisation Choices: Evidence for a Large Sample of Italian Firms
AbstractThis paper provides evidence on the links between productivity and internationalisation choices for a large sample of both large and small-medium sized Italian firms. By using detailed qualitative and quantitative information we first identify those firms engaged in international activities through exports and/or horizontal FDIs. Following the empirical literature on firm heterogeneity we estimate different measures of Total Factor Productivity and we provide empirical support to the theoretical predictions that there is a productivity ranking among domestic firms, exporters, and FDI performers. By estimating a multinomial logit model, we also control for the effect of variables other than TFP such as size, innovative activity, age, ICT adoption, labour composition, and group membership. As these variables only partially capture the effect of productivity on the probability to engage in foreign markets, we find that the ranking is robust with respect to the inclusion of these additional firm-level characteristics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano in its series Development Working Papers with number 236.
Date of creation: 07 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
FDI; Productivity; Export; Firm Heterogeneity; Multinomial Logit;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Barba Navaretti, Giorgio & Bertola, Giuseppe & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2008.
"Offshoring and Immigrant Employment: Firm-level Theory and Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6743, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giorgio Barba Navaretti & Giuseppe Bertola & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2008. "Offshoring and Immigrant Employment: Firm-level Theory and Evidence," Development Working Papers 245, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Aiello, Francesco & Pupo, Valeria & Ricotta, Fernand, 2011.
"Explaining TFP at firm level in Italy. Does location matter?,"
35656, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco Aiello & Valeria Pupo & Fernanda Ricotta, 2012. "Explaining Tfp At Firm Level In Italy. Does Location Matter?," Working Papers 201202, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Joel Stiebale & Michaela Trax, 2010.
"The Eff ects of Cross-border M&As on the Acquirers’ Domestic Performance – Firm-level Evidence,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0159, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Joel Stiebale & Michaela Trax, 2011. "The effects of cross-border M&As on the acquirers' domestic performance: firm-level evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 44(3), pages 957-990, August.
- Filomena Pietrovito & Alberto Franco Pozzolo & Luca Salvatici, 2013.
"Internationalization choices: an ordered probit analysis at industry-level,"
Development Working Papers
349, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano, revised 24 Apr 2013.
- Pietrovito, Filomena & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco & Salvatici, Luca, 2013. "Internationalization choices: an ordered probit analysis at industry-level," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp13071, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Filomena Pietrovito & Alberto Franco Pozzolo & Luca Salvatici, 2013. "Internationalization choices: an ordered probit analysis at industry-level," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 77, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Riccardo De Bonis & Giovanni Ferri & Zeno Rotondi, 2010. "Do bank-firm relationships influence firm internationalization?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 37, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Bratti, Massimiliano & Felice, Giulia, 2009. "Exporting and Product Innovation at the Firm Level," MPRA Paper 18915, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chiara Elli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.