Adapting to Climate Change Through Local Municipal Planning: Barriers and Opportunities
AbstractMunicipal planning represents a major avenue for achieving adaptation at local and regional scales, however significant constraints need to be acknowledged and addressed if adaptation is likely to advance through this mechanism. This paper considers the role of municipal (local government) planning and in particular the key constraints which currently limit this avenue for adaptation. The paper reviews the constraints recognised in the adaptation literature including lack of information, institutional limitations and lack of resources. We further identify additional constraints which affect local government planning drawing on the field of community-based environmental planning. In relating these constraints to practical attempts towards adaptation, the paper considers planning based on a case study of three municipalities in Sydney, Australia. In doing so, we draw attention to factors thus far under-acknowledged in the climate adaptation literature. These include leadership, institutional context and competing planning agendas. These factors can serve as constraints or enabling mechanisms for achieving climate adaptation depending upon how they are exploited in any given situation. The paper concludes that, through addressing these issues, local, place-based planning can play a greater role in achieving climate adaptation
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems in its series Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series with number 2010-05.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gungahlin Homestead, GPO Box 284, Canberra City, ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 6242 1600
Fax: (02) 6242 1555
Web page: http://www.csiro.au/org/cse
More information through EDIRC
institutional capacity; place-based planning; community engagement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- P48 - Economic Systems - - Other Economic Systems - - - Political Economy; Legal Institutions; Property Rights; Natural Resources; Energy; Environment; Regional Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-02-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2011-02-05 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2011-02-05 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gawel, Erik & Heuson, Clemens & Lehmann, Paul, 2012. "Efficient public adaptation to climate change: An investigation of drivers and barriers from a Public Choice perspective," UFZ Discussion Papers 14/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Lehmann, Paul & Brenck, Miriam & Gebhardt, Oliver & Schaller, Sven & Süßbauer, Elisabeth, 2012. "Understanding barriers and opportunities for adaptation planning in cities," UFZ Discussion Papers 19/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Fundamental questions on the economics of climate adaptation: Outlines of a new research programme," UFZ Reports 05/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
- Timothy F. Smith & Dana C. Thomsen & Steve Gould & Klaus Schmitt & Bianca Schlegel, 2013. "Cumulative Pressures on Sustainable Livelihoods: Coastal Adaptation in the Mekong Delta," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(1), pages 228-241, January.
- Benjamin L. Preston & Kirstin Dow & Frans Berkhout, 2013. "The Climate Adaptation Frontier," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(3), pages 1011-1035, March.
- Heuson, Clemens & Gawel, Erik & Gebhardt, Oliver & Hansjürgens, Bernd & Lehmann, Paul & Meyer, Volker & Schwarze, Reimund, 2012. "Ökonomische Grundfragen der Klimaanpassung: Umrisse eines neuen Forschungsprogramms," UFZ Reports 02/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CSE-Webrequest).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.