Health as an information good: the determinants of child nutrition and mortality during political and economic recovery in Uganda
AbstractUganda suffers from a high rate of child mortality which has improved little if at all in the last twenty years. The paper uses data from the 1992 Integrated Household Survey to model the determinants of child mortality and malnutrition. Parental beliefs about health have a strong and very highly significant influence on child mortality. Education and income also play a role, partly coming through its effect on beliefs, but early primary education seems to have little effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford in its series CSAE Working Paper Series with number 1995-09.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2001. "Modélisation des déterminants de la mortalité des enfants et pauvreté aux Comores," Documents de travail 53, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Appleton, S., 2000.
"Education and Health at the Household Level in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
33, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Simon Appleton, 2000. "Education and health at the household level in sub-Saharan Africa," CID Working Papers 33, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Simon Appleton & John Hoddinott & John MacKinnon, 1996. "Education and health in sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 307-339.
- Jean-Pierre Lachaud, 2001. "Les déterminants de l'évolution de la survie des enfants et la pauvreté au Burkina Faso : une approche micro-économétrique," Documents de travail 60, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Mackinnon, John & Reinikka, Ritva, 2000. "Lessons from Uganda on strategies to fight poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2440, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Payne).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.