Sectoral Linkages and Industrial Efficiency: A Dilemma or a Requisition in Identifying Development Priorities?
AbstractThis paper attempts to provide an empirical evaluation of the potential relationship between sectoral linkages and technical efficiency using the 1996 US input-output tables. Sectoral input-oriented technical efficiency is obtained by the econometric estimation of a stochastic input-distance function based on Battese and Coelli (1995) model formulation. On the other hand, sectoral backward and forward linkage coefficients were computed using the non-complete hypothetical extraction method suggested by Dietzenbacher and Van der Linden (1997). The empirical results suggest that there is a negative relationship between sectoral efficiency and linkage coefficients, while on the other hand efficient sectors tend to purchase their intermediate inputs from efficient sectors and vice versa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Crete, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0413.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 00 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2010. "Sectoral linkages and industrial efficiency: a dilemma or a requisition in identifying development priorities?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 207-233, August.
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Leroy P, 1976. "The Measurement of Hirschmanian Linkages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 323-33, May.
- Raa, M.H. ten & Kop Jansen, P., 1990. "The choice of model in the construction of input-output coefficients matrices," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-381948, Tilburg University.
- Coelli, Tim & Perelman, Sergio, 1999. "A comparison of parametric and non-parametric distance functions: With application to European railways," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 326-339, September.
- Cella, Guido, 1984. "The Input-Output Measurement of Interindustry Linkages," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 46(1), pages 73-84, February.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Grosskopf, S. & Hayes, K. & Hirschberg, J., 1995. "Fiscal stress and the production of public safety: A distance function approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 277-296, June.
- Clements, Benedict J., 1990. "On the decomposition and normalization of interindustry linkages," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 337-340, August.
- Heimler, Alberto, 1991. "Linkages and Vertical Integration in the Chinese Economy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 261-67, May.
- Lawrence, Denis, 1990. "An adjustment-costs model of export supply and import demand," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 381-398, December.
- Jansen, Pieter Kop & ten Raa, Thijs, 1990. "The Choice of Model in the Construction of Input-Output Coefficients Matrices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 213-27, February.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- W.E. Diewert, 1986. "Export Supply and Import Demand Functions: A Production Theory Approach," NBER Working Papers 2011, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kostis Pigounakis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.