Progressivity of the French Tax System: Different Channels in 1990 and 2010
AbstractUsing a microsimulation model (Ines), we simulate taxes paid and transfers received by each household in a representative sample of the French population in 2010, applying and comparing the fiscal legislation of 1990 and 2010. We simulate social security contributions, income and housing taxes, indirect taxes and social benefits, but we exclude taxes on wealth and business taxes. Overall, the progressivity of the tax-benefit system did not undergo a major shift between 1990 and 2010. This stems from two changes in opposite directions: on the one hand, income taxes and social benefits are less progressive in 2010 than in 1990 while; on the other hand, social security contributions are more progressive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE in its series Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE with number g2012-08.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Taxes; Social Benefits; Progressivity; Microsimulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
- N17 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Africa; Oceania
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David le Blanc & Anne Laferrère, 2002. "Comment les aides au logement affectent-elles les loyers ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 351(1), pages 3-30.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (D3E).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.