The Effects of Management and Provision Accounts on Hedge Fund Returns - Part II : The Loss Carry Forward Scheme
AbstractIn addition to active portfolio management, hedge funds are characterized by the allocation of portfolio performance between the external investors and the management firm accounts. This allocation can take different forms, such as the Loss Carry Forward scheme, and some of them can be coupled with performance smoothing techniques. This paper shows that this additional smoothing component might explain some empirical facts observed on the distribution and the dynamics of hedge fund returns
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2013-23.
Date of creation: Sep 2013
Date of revision:
Hedge Fund; Sharpe Performance; Manager Incentive; Loss Carry Forward; Performance Smoothing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl Ackermann & Richard McEnally & David Ravenscraft, 1999. "The Performance of Hedge Funds: Risk, Return, and Incentives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 833-874, 06.
- Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew W. & Makarov, Igor, 2004.
"An econometric model of serial correlation and illiquidity in hedge fund returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 529-609, December.
- Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Igor Makarov, 2003. "An Econometric Model of Serial Correlation and Illiquidity in Hedge Fund Returns," NBER Working Papers 9571, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew & Makarov, Igor, 2003. "An Econometric Model of Serial Correlation and Illiquidity In Hedge Fund Returns," Working papers 4288-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Agarwal, Vikas & Naik, Narayan Y., 2000. "Multi-Period Performance Persistence Analysis of Hedge Funds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 327-342, September.
- Brown, Stephen J & Goetzmann, William N & Ibbotson, Roger G, 1999. "Offshore Hedge Funds: Survival and Performance, 1989-95," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Bollen, Nicolas P. B. & Pool, Veronika K., 2008. "Conditional Return Smoothing in the Hedge Fund Industry," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(02), pages 267-298, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.