“Unemployment Insurance Versus Individual Unemployment Accounts and Transitions to Formal Versus Informal Sector Jobs”
AbstractThis paper analyzes the impact of the unemployment safety net on the speed of returningto employment in 6 major urban areas of Brazil. Distinguishing between formal andinformal sector jobs as destinations and controlling for unobserved characteristics thataffect transitions, we find that previous formal sector work (which opens eligibility tounemployment insurance (UI) and individual unemployment accounts (FGTS))accelerates the rate of transition to formal sector jobs and reduces the rate of transition toinformal sector jobs. Additional unemployment benefits provided through the UI systemdo not directly affect transitions to formal sector jobs, although they do slow transitionsto informal sector jobs. The results suggest that the unemployment safety net may affectoutcomes by reducing search intensity for informal sector jobs, while demand sidephenomena may be driving the results for transitions to the formal sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2008-35.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reyes, Gonzalo & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2010.
"Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartley, Gonzalo Reyes & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2011. "Incentive effects of unemployment insurance savings accounts: Evidence from Chile," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 798-809.
- Gonzalo Reyes Hartley & Jan C Van Ours & Milan Vodopivec, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," Working Papers 40, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Feb 2010.
- Reyes Hartley, Gonzalo & van Ours, Jan C. & Vodopivec, Milan, 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," IZA Discussion Papers 4681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hartley, G.R. & Ours, J.C. van & Vodopivec, M., 2010. "Incentive Effects of Unemployment Insurance Savings Accounts: Evidence from Chile," Discussion Paper 2010-04, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nicola Brandt, 2012. "Reducing Poverty in Chile: Cash Transfers and Better Jobs," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 951, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.