One for All and All for One : Regression Checks with Many Regressors”
AbstractWe develop a novel approach to build consistent checks of parametric re-gression models when many regressors are present, based on a class of richenough semiparametric alternatives, namely single-index models. We proposean omnibus test based on the kernel method that performs against a sequenceof directional nonparametric alternatives as if there was one regressor only,whatever the number of regressors. This test can be viewed as a smooth ver-sion of the integrated conditional moment (ICM) test of Bierens. Qualitativeinformation can be easily incorporated in the procedure to enhance power.Our test is little sensitive to the smoothing parameter and performs betterthan several known lack-of-¯t tests in multidimensional settings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique in its series Working Papers with number 2007-12.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Pascal Lavergne & Valentin Patilea, 2008. "One for All and All for One:Regression Checks With Many Regressors," Discussion Papers dp08-06, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Patilea, Valentin, 2011. "One for all and all for one: regression checks with many regressors," MPRA Paper 35779, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005.
"Goodness-of-fit Tests for Linear and Non-linear Time Series Models,"
Faculty Working Papers
02/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006. "Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Linear and Nonlinear Time Series Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 531-541, June.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990.
"A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989. "A consistent conditional moment test of functional form," Serie Research Memoranda 0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Miles, Daniel & Mora, Juan, 2003.
"On the performance of nonparametric specification tests in regression models,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 477-490, March.
- Juan Mora & Daniel Miles, 2002. "On The Performance Of Nonparametric Specification Tests In Regression Models," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-13, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Azzalini,A. & Bowman,A.W. & Haerdle,W., 1988. "On the use of nonparametric regression for model checking," Discussion Paper Serie A 195, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Fan J. & Huang L-S., 2001. "Goodness-of-Fit Tests for Parametric Regression Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 640-652, June.
- Bierens, H.J. & Ploberger, W., 1995.
"Asymptotic theory of integrated conditional moment tests,"
1995-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herman J. Bierens & Werner Ploberger, 1997. "Asymptotic Theory of Integrated Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1129-1152, September.
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1997. "Nonparametric bootstrap analysis with applications to demographic effects in demand functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 357-393, December.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1995. "Consistent nonparametric hypothesis tests with an application to Slutsky symmetry," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 379-401, June.
- Hardle, W. & Mammen, E., 1990.
"Comparing nonparametric versus parametric regression fits,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1990065, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Enno Mammen, . "Comparing nonparametric versus parametric regression fits," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9205, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos, 2006.
"A Consistent Diagnostic Test For Regression Models Using Projections,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1030-1051, December.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2005. "A Consistent Diagnostic Test for Regression Models Using Projections," Faculty Working Papers 09/05, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- King, Robert G & Levine, Ross, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-37, August.
- John Xu Zheng, 1996. "A consistent test of functional form via nonparametric estimation techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-289, December.
- Pascal Lavergne & Valentin Patilea, 2006.
"Breaking the Curse of Dimensionality in Nonparametric Testing,"
2006-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Lavergne, Pascal & Patilea, Valentin, 2008. "Breaking the curse of dimensionality in nonparametric testing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 103-122, March.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Imbens, Guido W. & Newey, Whitney K., 2003. "Empirical likelihood estimation and consistent tests with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 55-93, November.
- Godfrey, Leslie G. & Orme, Chris D., 2004. "Controlling the finite sample significance levels of heteroskedasticity-robust tests of several linear restrictions on regression coefficients," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 281-287, February.
- Guerre, Emmanuel & Lavergne, Pascal, 2002. "Optimal Minimax Rates For Nonparametric Specification Testing In Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(05), pages 1139-1171, October.
- Liu, Zhenjuan & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Non-linearities in Cross-Country Growth Regressions: A Semiparametric Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 527-38, Sept.-Oct.
- Li, Q. & Wang, Suojin, 1998. "A simple consistent bootstrap test for a parametric regression function," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 145-165, August.
- Bierens, Herman J., 1982. "Consistent model specification tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 105-134, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.