The Annuity Market in an Evolving Pension System: Lessons from Italy
AbstractWe describe the main characteristics of the Italian annuity market in a comparative perspective. We present for the first time a comprehensive dataset concerning annuity prices in Italy, and compute indicators of actuarial fairness (money’s worth ratios). It turns out that annuities sold in Italy are quite expensive with respect to the ones sold in other countries and to the ones offered by the public pension system. On the basis of the evidence gathered, we discuss the adequacy of current practices and regulation, and propose policies to increase efficiency and to speed-up the development of the market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy) in its series CeRP Working Papers with number 77.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Devis Geron, 2009. "Social Security Incidence under Uncertainty Assessing Italian Reforms," CESifo Working Paper Series 2812, CESifo Group Munich.
- Devis Geron, 2011. "Severance Pay or Pension Funds?," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0139, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Giuseppe Cappelletti & Giovanni Guazzarotti & Pietro Tommasino, 2011. "What determines annuity demand at retirement?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 805, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- A. Marano & C. Mazzaferro & M. Morciano, 2011.
"The strengths and failures of incentive mechanisms in notional defined contribution pension systems,"
wp799, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Angelo Marano & Carlo Mazzaferro & Marcello Morciano, 2012. "The strengths and failures of incentive mechanisms in notional defined contribution pension systems," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 71(1), pages 33-70, October.
- Renata Bottazzi & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2009.
"The Portfolio Effect of Pension Reforms,"
CSEF Working Papers
234, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Renata Bottazzi & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula, 2009. "The Portfolio Effect of Pension Reforms," Working Papers 2009_17, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Bottazzi, Renata & Jappelli, Tullio & Padula, Mario, 2009. "The Portfolio Effect of Pension Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 7380, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Maero).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.