Collaboration networks as carriers of knowledge spillovers: Evidence from EU27 regions
AbstractThe geography of innovation traditionally concentrates on localised knowledge spillovers, yet neglects collaboration networks as a means to access knowledge outside the region. Using publication and patent data for 1316 regions in the EU27 plus Norway and Switzerland, we find that both localised knowledge spillovers and the knowledge spillovers stemming from collaboration affect the innovative performance of regions. The results provide support for EU policies aimed at creating European collaboration networks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy in its series KITeS Working Papers with number 222.
Length: pages 35
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision: Sep 2008
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano - Italy
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-12-07 (Education)
- NEP-EEC-2008-12-07 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2008-12-07 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-GEO-2008-12-07 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HRM-2008-12-07 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-INO-2008-12-07 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2008-12-07 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2008-12-07 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-NET-2008-12-07 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2008-12-07 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2008-12-07 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Montobbio Fabio & Sterzi Valerio, 2012.
"The globalization of technology in emerging markets: a gravity model on the determinants of international patent collaborations,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
201208, University of Turin.
- Montobbio, Fabio & Sterzi, Valerio, 2013. "The Globalization of Technology in Emerging Markets: A Gravity Model on the Determinants of International Patent Collaborations," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 281-299.
- Fabio MONTOBBIO (University of Turin & KITES, Bocconi University, Milan) & Valerio STERZI (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113 & KITES, Bocconi University, Milan), 2012. "The globalization of technology in emerging markets: a gravity model on the determinants of international patent collaborations," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-05, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Fabio Montobbio & Valerio Sterzi, 2011.
"Inventing together: exploring the nature of international knowledge spillovers in Latin America,"
Journal of Evolutionary Economics,
Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 53-89, February.
- Fabio Montobbio & Valerio Sterzi, 2008. "Inventing Together: Exploring the Nature of International Knowledge Spillovers in Latin America," KITeS Working Papers 225, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2008.
- Christ, Julian P., 2009.
"The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks,"
Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere
31/2010, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Christ, Julian P., 2010. "The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks," FZID Discussion Papers 14-2010, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Asso, Pier Francesco & Pipitone, Vito, 2010.
"Ostacoli e determinanti dell’innovazione: un’analisi sulle imprese siciliane di successo,"
Working Papers Res
2/2010, Fondazione Res, revised 01 Dec 2010.
- Pier Francesco Asso & Vito Pipitone, 2013. "Ostacoli e determinanti dell’innovazione: un’analisi sulle imprese siciliane di successo," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 157-193, July-Sept.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.