European and Euro-meditterranean Agreements: same simulation analysis on the effects of the EU trade policy
AbstractThis paper deals with the long term effects of several important trade policy initiatives implemented by the EU in the last decade: the European Agreements, the Euro-Mediterranean Agreements and the Customs Union with Turkey. The analytical tool is GTAP, a static and perfectly competitive CGE model whose database has been aggregated into 10 regions and 10 industries. On average, liberalisation of manufacturing industries turns out to be welfare creating for the subscribers and slightly damaging for the world economy; the eventual opening of agricultural markets by the EU would improve these results. Income distribution inside the involved areas is only weakly affected by integration; with regard to the EU, return to capital and wages – for both skilled and unskilled labour - tend to appreciate in real terms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy in its series KITeS Working Papers with number 110.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision: Jun 2000
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano - Italy
Web page: http://www.kites.unibocconi.it/
Postal: E G E A - via R. Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano -Italy
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-01-21 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Francois, Joseph F. & McQueen, Matthew & Wignaraja, Ganeshan, 2005. "European Union-developing country FTAs: overview and analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1545-1565, October.
- Kavallari, Aikaterini & Schmitz, P. Michael, 2008. "Multilateral trade liberalisation and Preference erosion: Effects on the agricultural sector of the EU's Mediterranean Partner Countries," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44177, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kavallari, Aikaterini & Borresch, Rene & Schmitz, P. Michael, 2006. "Modelling agricultural policy reforms in the Mediterranean basin - Adjustments of AGRISIM," 98th Seminar, June 29-July 2, 2006, Chania, Crete, Greece 10074, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio Sterzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.