Managerial Husbandry and the Dynamics of Ongoing Firms
AbstractThis paper studies the supply and demand for on-the- job training when the success of training is stochastic, firms have to pay hiring costs when they hire skilled workers from the outside, and firms have strictly concave production functions. There are predictions about firm level dynamics and interactions between labor mobility and firm performance. The model generates intermittent labor market events such as lateral mobility, promotions, layoffs and variation in earnings across identically skilled workers. It also explains two labor market phenomena: up or out rules and fast track jobs.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal in its series Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers with number 2.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1992
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, European Economic Review, 40(7), pages 1483-1499, August 1996
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 8888, Downtown Station, Montreal (Canada) Quebec, H3C 3P8
Phone: (514) 987-6181
Fax: (514) 987-8494
Web page: http://ideas.uqam.ca/CREFE/
More information through EDIRC
On-the-job training; Hiring cost; Firm growth; Inter and intra firm mobility; Up or out rules; Fast track jobs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Demougin, Dominique & Siow, Aloysius, 1996. "Managerial husbandry and the dynamics of ongoing hierarchies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1483-1499, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stéphane Pallage).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.