The Dynamics of Brand Equity: A Hedonic Regression Approach to the Laser Printer Market
AbstractThe authors develop a dynamic approach to measuring the evolution of comparative brand premium, an important component of brand equity. A comparative brand premium is defined as the pairwise price difference between two products being identical in every respect but brand. The model is based on hedonic regressions and grounded in economic theory. In constrast to existing approaches, the authors explicitly take into account and model the dynamics of the brand premia. By exploiting the premia’s intertemporal dependence structure, the Bayesian estimation method produces more accurate estimators of the time paths of the brand premia than other methods. In addition, the authors present a novel yet straightforward way to construct confidence bands that cover the entire time series of brand premia with high probability. The data required for estimation are readily available, cheap, and observable on the market under investigation. The authors apply the dynamic hedonic regression to a large and detailed data set about laser printers gathered on a monthly basis over a four-year period. It transpires that, in general, the estimated brand premia change only gradually from period to period. Nevertheless the method can diagnose sudden downturns of a comparative brand premium. The authors’ dynamic hedonic regression approach facilitates the practical evaluation of brand management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster in its series CQE Working Papers with number 1210.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Am Stadtgraben 9, 48143 Münster, Germany
Web page: http://www1.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/cqe/
More information through EDIRC
brand equity; price premium; hedonic regression; Bayesian estimation; dynamic linear model;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-04-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-IND-2010-04-04 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2010-04-04 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldfarb, Avi & Lu, Qiang & Moorthy, Sridhar, 2007.
"Measuring Brand Value in an Equilibrium Framework,"
149205, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Ludwig Auer, 2007. "Hedonic price measurement: the CCC approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 289-311, September.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1995. "Hierarchical analysis of SUR models with extensions to correlated serial errors and time-varying parameter models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 339-360, August.
- Venkatesh Shankar & Pablo Azar & Matthew Fuller, 2008. "—: A Multicategory Brand Equity Model and Its Application at Allstate," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(4), pages 567-584, 07-08.
- Roheim, Cathy A. & Gardiner, Lacey & Asche, Frank, 2007. "Value of Brands and Other Attributes: Hedonic Analysis of Retail Frozen Fish in the UK," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(3).
- Hjorth-Andersen, Chr, 1984. " The Concept of Quality and the Efficiency of Markets for Consumer Products," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 708-18, September.
- V. Srinivasan & Chan Su Park & Dae Ryun Chang, 2005. "An Approach to the Measurement, Analysis, and Prediction of Brand Equity and Its Sources," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(9), pages 1433-1448, September.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2007. "Hedonic Retail Beef and Pork Product Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Ludwig Von Auer & John Brennan, 2007. "Bias and inefficiency in quality-adjusted hedonic regression analysis," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 95-107.
- Chib, Siddhartha, 1993. "Bayes regression with autoregressive errors : A Gibbs sampling approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 275-294, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Susanne Deckwitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.